Competition highlights research

In News
(Daily Titan)
(Daily Titan)

Four students were announced as this year’s winners for the Science and Math Symposium poster competition at Cal State Fullerton on Thursday.

The two-day event, hosted by the Natural Sciences Interclub Council also included presentations and lectures by faculty.

The winners include Simona Bor, biochemistry major, Jenny C. Chang, math major, David Mar, biochemistry major, and Michelle Gevedon, geology major.

According to Amy Mattern, interim assistant Dean for Student Affairs in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, the competition is held as an opportunity for students to share their research.

Mattern said the goal of the event is to have students come together to learn about people’s research, ask one another questions and to inspire intellectual inquiry.

Participants in the competition were primarily students of College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, according to Mattern, but also included students of different disciplines.

Adrian Velasco, 22, a biochemistry major who is part of the Natural Science and Mathematics Interclub Council, said participants were from programs on campus where students worked on different projects with professors.

“We look for different programs here on campus, programs that are very research-based and ask students doing those types of research to get involved in the event,” Velasco said.

William Pilesky, 28, a geology graduate student, is working on research on the Ordovician Extinction event.

“The work that I’m doing is basically looking at rocks over in east central California in the Indio mountains,” Pilesky said. “(I am) trying to determine the duration of this glaciation to determine whether it was a long-lived event or a short-lived event.”

The competition, according to Mattern, was judged based on a rubric by a set of judges.

“It’s looking at things like their presentation skills, their physical demeanor and their appearance and professionalism but also for their content,” Mattern said.

Personal expression and responding well to questions was also a big part of the judging aspect of the competition, Mattern added.

“It’s an opportunity for students to be here at home, their University, to do a professional presentation but in a less-pressure environment before they get to a professional conference,” said Mattern.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

UPDATE: This article was updated on July 26 at 2:12 p.m. to include comments from College Republicans club president emeritus