Business Madness brings risk management expert

An expert in risk management spoke with students Wednesday as part of the Business Madness Week presented by the College of Business and Economics.

Susan Meltzer, vice president of enterprise risk management for Aviva Canada, taught students about risk management in various fields, such as banking and NASCAR, at Steven G. Mihaylo Hall to a crowd of about 40 students.

Risk management is the study of economical or safety concerns and how “unfortunate events” can be minimized. The findings are heavily used by businesses and organizations to maximize profit and minimize lawsuits.

Risks can come from market instabilities, natural disasters, project failures or even deliberate attack.

Meltzer has been an insurance broker at many corporations. She has an extensive background in insurance and risk management, and has been with Aviva Canada since 2006.

Meltzer has been involved with the Risk and Insurance Management Society since 1983, and has served as president of the society.

Business Madness is hosted by the Business Inter-Club Council and the Career Center.

The week-long business celebration began last year as an evolution of Business Week.

Business Madness is intended to have a more celebratory and relaxed atmosphere than its predecessor.

Earlier this week, representatives from companies such as ESPN and Disney lectured students on topics ranging from globalization to sales and marketing strategies. Eighty representatives were on hand this week to teach students about opportunities in different businesses and fields.

Business Madness continues Thursday.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics