Public transportation on the rise

In Local News, News

Updated at 11:10 p.m. on March 12, 2013.

Public Transportation ridership is on a steady rise with skyrocketing gas prices as the likely culprit, according to the Los Angeles Times.

A report by The National Conference of State Legislatures estimates an average savings of $10,000 annually.

In 2012, public transportation participation rose 1.5 percent with 10.5 billion trips.

Despite the slew of bad weather that slammed the east coast beginning with Hurricane Sandy, setting a loss of an estimated 74 million rides, ridership was still the second-highest since 1957.

The Times reported a likely connection with increasing ridership and the waning of the recession.

More jobs are bringing people back into the workforce, but still not out of the dark. Huge savings can still be made through public transportation.

The increase is noted in major metropolitan areas across the nation. The numbers are increasing despite cutbacks, which have forced 80 percent of transit systems to either cut services or raise prices.

The Orange County Transportation Authority offers multiple services to fit riders needs including a seven day pass that tenders a 10 percent discount to students.

The OC Link all-day weekday pass is $7 and allows access to Metrolink and all local OCTA bus service throughout Orange County.

The $10 weekend pass gives riders access to all metrolink systems, except Amtrak, beginning Friday at 7 p.m. through midnight Sunday.

The ticket also includes transfers connecting rail or bus. The monthly pass also allows riders all privileges afforded by the weekend pass ticket.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded