BRIEF: Boehner reduces operation spending

In National News, News

A cost-cutting effort by House Speaker John Boehner has resulted in a 15 percent reduction in operation spending by the House of Representatives, according to USA Today.

The cuts are expected to save taxpayers $400 million by the end of 2013.

Lawmakers had an annual $1.5 million office budget three years ago; that amount has been reduced to $1.2 million, which covers staff salaries and district office rent.

The House cut $58 million in operating costs in the 2011 fiscal year, $143 million in the 2012 fiscal year and are on pace to cut $205 million in the 2013 fiscal year after the sequester.

In 2010, the operating cost for the House was $1.37 billion and that number has been reduced to $1.16 billion in 2013.

Committee budgets are also being trimmed, according to USA Today. The Natural Resource Committee has had a 22.35 percent cut in budget, from $8.4 million in 2010 to $6.5 million in 2013.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

UPDATE: This article was updated on July 26 at 2:12 p.m. to include comments from College Republicans club president emeritus