BRIEF: Boehner reduces operation spending

In National News, News

A cost-cutting effort by House Speaker John Boehner has resulted in a 15 percent reduction in operation spending by the House of Representatives, according to USA Today.

The cuts are expected to save taxpayers $400 million by the end of 2013.

Lawmakers had an annual $1.5 million office budget three years ago; that amount has been reduced to $1.2 million, which covers staff salaries and district office rent.

The House cut $58 million in operating costs in the 2011 fiscal year, $143 million in the 2012 fiscal year and are on pace to cut $205 million in the 2013 fiscal year after the sequester.

In 2010, the operating cost for the House was $1.37 billion and that number has been reduced to $1.16 billion in 2013.

Committee budgets are also being trimmed, according to USA Today. The Natural Resource Committee has had a 22.35 percent cut in budget, from $8.4 million in 2010 to $6.5 million in 2013.

Hundreds of thousands march in Los Angeles and Orange County following inauguration

Hundreds of thousands of people attended women’s marches in Los Angeles and Santa Ana last weekend to promote

Former governor Michael Dukakis talks political policies at CSUF

(Photo by Katie Albertson / Daily Titan) Michael Dukakis, a professor, former three-term Democratic Massachusetts governor and the Democratic

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of