BRIEF: Boehner reduces operation spending

In National News, News

A cost-cutting effort by House Speaker John Boehner has resulted in a 15 percent reduction in operation spending by the House of Representatives, according to USA Today.

The cuts are expected to save taxpayers $400 million by the end of 2013.

Lawmakers had an annual $1.5 million office budget three years ago; that amount has been reduced to $1.2 million, which covers staff salaries and district office rent.

The House cut $58 million in operating costs in the 2011 fiscal year, $143 million in the 2012 fiscal year and are on pace to cut $205 million in the 2013 fiscal year after the sequester.

In 2010, the operating cost for the House was $1.37 billion and that number has been reduced to $1.16 billion in 2013.

Committee budgets are also being trimmed, according to USA Today. The Natural Resource Committee has had a 22.35 percent cut in budget, from $8.4 million in 2010 to $6.5 million in 2013.

The renovated Universal Cinema at CityWalk offers laser projection, recliner seats and cocktails

Hollywood directors Steven Spielberg and Jordan Peele were among the esteemed guests celebrating the opening of Universal Studios’ new

All the Arts for All the Kids Foundation hosts a charitable auction for children’s education at the Fullerton Museum Plaza

Tables were lined up beneath a white canopy where an array of art pieces from hundreds of artists were

Young Theatre hosts a sexy and cliche ‘Wild Party’

Somewhere in between “Chicago” and “The Great Gatsby” lies the vibrant themes and catchy tunes of Tony-nominated producer Andrew