Lorenzen named ‘player to watch’

In Sports, Spring Sports

Junior Michael Lorenzen has yet another distinction to add to his already lengthy list of honors after being named to the 2013 John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award watch list.

The list consists of 25 collegiate baseball players and was announced by the College Baseball Hall of Fame in Lubbock, Texas. The actual award is presented on June 29 as part of the annual Night of Champions, which recognizes baseball players that excel in the game.

The John Olerud watch list is the third that Lorenzen has been named to this season in addition to the National College Baseball Writers Association Mid-Season Stopper of the Year Watch List and the College Baseball Hall of fame 2013 Pitcher of the Year Watch List.

Lorenzen is a worthy candidate for all three lists, ,as his 13 saves top the Big West and tie him for third in the country.

He is a threat on the offensive end as well, as his 13-game hitting streak from March 15 to April 2 was the longest for any Titan hitter this season. His offensive contributions during that span seemed to pay off as Cal State Fullerton was 12-1 during that stretch while Lorenzen batted .469 with three home runs, 19 RBIs, three doubles and 13 runs scored.

John Olerud was a major league first baseman who played 17 seasons from 1989-2005. His .363 batting average in 1993 was tops in the American League.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded