Man on the street: What’s your favorite way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

In Arts & Entertainment, Food, Multimedia

If you ask a college student what they like to do in their free time, the rop replies would be parties, dancing, Mexican food, drinks and music. Luckily, Cinco de Mayo covers all of that.

The holiday isn’t emphasized as much in Mexico as it is in the U.S. That may be because the Cinco De Mayo has a different meaning in the United States.

In Mexico, they celebrate the victory of the French in the Battle of Puebla in 1862.

But in the United States, Cinco de Mayo is both a celebration of Mexico’s victory and a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage.

Michelle Nieto, an undeclared freshman, is proud of her Mexican heritage and appreciates everything Cinco de Mayo has to offer.

“I usually gather around with my family and we do some carne asada and some rice and beans.” said Nieto. “We like to take a moment to remember that day of Cinco de Mayo, which is the battle between Mexicans and French. We (Mexico) thought we weren’t going to win, but we did. So it’s always happy and knowing that despite we believed we weren’t going to be able to win, we did win.”

Eric Leon, a health and science major, looks forward to the annual Santa Ana Downtown Cinco De Mayo festival.

“My family likes to cook traditional Mexican food … we’re talking about tamales,” said Leon. “There’s a big fair, I live in Santa Ana … on Fourth Street, it’s a very huge fair, like thousands of people go there every year. They have like rides and food, and festivities,”

Jezmine Salgabo, a psychology major, enjoys spending the holiday with her friends while making drinks.

“Cinco de Mayo would also be the ‘cinco de drinko,’ so in order to celebrate the right way you should have some margaritas and tacos,” Salgabo said.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / Courtesy of Amazon Studios

Review: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” reaches new heights

The social conservatism in New York during the 1950s only makes Miriam “Midge” Maisel much more marvelous as she

(Danielle Evangelista / Daily Titan)

NCAA disapproves of Marijuana usage for rehabilitation purposes

For student-athletes in college, the ability to use marijuana as a way to help heal themselves during the course

Concept art for new virtual reality experience coming to College of the Arts.

College of the Arts plans to convert a student hotspot into Virtual Reality room

The Department of Visual Arts cell block nestled between animation classrooms 185 and 189 in building E has not