Shoe recycling event raises funds for dogs

Members of Clear Point Communications collect shoes at the Titan Walk Tuesday. (Robert Huskey / Daily Titan)

A group of Cal State Fullerton students hosted a shoe recycling event, “Shoes for Shepherds,” to raise funds for the German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County at the Titan Walk on Monday and Tuesday.

Clear Point Communications, a student formed public relations group, selected the German Shepherd Rescue organization as part of a service-learning class that focuses on servicing the community.

“We chose this client because we all have a mutual love for German shepherds,” said Christina Colucci, 23, a communications major and member of Clear Point Communications.

Donated shoes and shoe boxes were stacked around the students’ table along with large boxes for potentially donated shoes.

The student group will received 78 cents for every pound of shoes that are collected, according to Michelle Kang, 21, a communications major and member of Clear Point Communications.

Colucci said their goal was to raise $500.

The funds will go towards the shelter to rehabilitate, feed and find new homes for rescued Shepherds.

The shelter is a non-profit organization that receives a majority of their shepherds from families who are no longer able to care for their pet or from people in the organization that rescue shepherds from shelters, according to Colucci.

From there, it finds temporary foster families that can house the shepherds until they are officially adopted by a long term family.

At the moment, the organization has taken in so many German shepherds that they no longer have space to rescue more, Colucci said.

Due to the overabundance of shepherds at the shelter and the high cost of placing a shepherd with a foster family, the organization welcomes any donations, Colucci said.

The event was sponsored by two cupcake stores and the group had a jar for people to donate.

“We had the Classic Cupcake sponsor one dozen red velvet cupcakes to our cause with 100 percent of the proceeds going directly to the german shepherd rescue. Then we had three dozen cupcakes donated from Kerri’s Sweet Kreations and 100 percent of the proceeds of those cupcakes as well are going to the german shepherd rescue,” said Sara Araujo, 22, a communications major and member of the group.

The group also sold candy and water, with all the proceeds going to the rescue.

Raising money was not the only goal of the event—the students also wanted to spread awareness of the organization and situation of dogs in the community.

“Dog overpopulation is a big problem in our community and we should do what we can to try to help the dogs,” said Colucci.

This is a photo of a stress-relieving therapy dog that was at WellFest.

CSUF Health Services hosts second annual WellFest to meet staff, educate and raise awareness

Health Services hosted their second WellFest at the CSUF Student Wellness Center, where students relieved stress by petting certified

This is a photo of two of the three couples who participated in the panel.

Couples from Osher Lifelong Learning Institute share the secret to long-lasting love

The Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute hosted a Valentine’s Day-themed couples panel with three

Gil Cisneros speaking with Fullerton residents

Representative Gil Cisneros hosts open house at Fullerton home office

Congressman Gil Cisneros, the Democrat representative of the 39th District opened his first home office in Fullerton this past