Get dressed up for a day in the park

In Arts & Entertainment, Fashion
Jessica Pineda/ Daily Titan
Jessica Pineda/ Daily Titan

Walt Disney built Disneyland Park as a place to transport guests into “the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.” Several thousand guests entered that world of yesterday by dressing in vintage attires as a part of the theme park’s Dapper Day.

The independent annual event, which is not endorsed by The Walt Disney Co., brought men sporting proper bow ties and vintage blazers as well as women twirling in pin-up dresses and 50s updos. Main Street, U.S.A. set a lively and rather dappy scene that carried on throughout the day.

Cal State Fullerton history professor, David Freeman, attended his first Dapper Day event last year.

“It would be a good idea to get a group of friends together and dress up to go to the park, the way people did in the early years,” Freeman said. “If you look at films and pictures of the park in the ‘50s and ‘60s, people really did get dressed up (to go to Disneyland).”

Freeman, a dapper professor himself, sported a 1940s necktie this year.

“I started telling my students, ‘Well, this this a wonderful thing, you can make a date out of it, and it gives you a reason to get dressed up,’” he said.

Erich Wendt, a senior history major, who first learned about the event through Freeman, wore a striped button-up with a black blazer and accessorized with a green bow tie, round glasses and a bowler hat.

“I’ve really enjoyed it. I am inspired by the ‘20s and ‘30s and incorporated some of that,” Wendt said, who is celebrating his third Dapper Day. “But it also has some modern pieces as well.”

The park invited attendees to partake in Dapper Day social activities such as a group ride on the Mark Twain Riverboat or a group photo in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Dapper Day will also be celebrated at the Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla. next week. It will be held at Disneyland Paris next month.

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of

Red Oak, interim city manager approved

(Photo by Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan) Over 100 Fullerton residents congregated in the Fullerton City Chambers for the

Point-In-Time Count homeless census seeks volunteers

Orange County organizers of the biennial Point-In-Time Count are seeking Cal State Fullerton volunteers to assist with the homeless