Historic 1995 baseball team to be inducted to Titan Hall of Fame

Pineda_STDOne of Cal State Fullerton’s proudest sports traditions is it’s baseball team. It has produced four College World Series titles in its storied history, including the 1995 team, which will be inducted into the CSUF Athletics Hall of Fame.

One of their most exciting seasons in school history came in 1995 when they won the College World Series. Even with the rich history of the program, the team was not expected to accomplish that feat when the season began.

Head Coach Augie Garrido even went as far as to label the 1995 season a rebuilding year for the Titans. Garrido was named National Coach of the Year for his leadership of the Titans and for taking the team to new heights. Garrido was inducted into the CSUF Athletics Hall of Fame in 2005 for his accomplishments.

On top of the 1995 championship, he had won national titles in 1979 and 1984 with the Titans. He has been coaching for 45 years and is currently the head coach of the University of Texas, where he also won national titles in 2002 and 2005.
The 1995 Titans dominated the season with a 57-9 record overall and an 18-3 record against Big West opponents on their way to their 17th conference title.

This impressive regular season ended with a seven-game winning streak. This streak carried into the postseason as the Titans won their third national title by winning 11 games in a row. This 18-game winning streak was capped off by a convincing victory over the USC Trojans, who also have a decorated history in college baseball with 11 College World Series titles.

The 1995 Titans achieved their greatest record to date with the help of their lengthy winning streak. The 1995 CSUF baseball team has been widely considered to be the best college baseball teams ever as they were the first No. 1 seed to win a College World Series.

This historic performance by the 1995 Titans has earned them a spot in the CSUF Athletics Hall of Fame along with other exceptional Titan athletes. Among the Titans who played for the 1995 championship team includes Mark Kotsay, who was named the Golden Spikes Award winner and College World Series Most Outstanding Player.

Kotsay went on to enjoy a prolific major league career with various teams and has played since 1997. He has decided to retire from the majors with the San Diego Padres after this season is over. Other prominent players from the 1995 Titan baseball team include pitcher Ted Silva, catcher Brian Loyd, outfielder Jeremy Giambi and third baseman Mike Lamb.

Silva was named to the All-America First Team and also earned the Big West Pitcher of the Year Award. Loyd was named to the All-America Third Team and the College World Series All-Tournament along with Silva. Lamb didn’t receive any awards during the 1995 season, but he eventually went on to play in the major leagues for the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. He hit the Astros’ first ever World Series home run in 2005. Giambi went on to have a major league career as well and spent the majority of his career with the Kansas City Royals and Oakland Athletics.

The 1995 Titans had nine players drafted overall that year with pitcher Jon Ward leading the way in the eighth round. The team will receive recognition for their accomplishments and be inducted into the CSUF Athletics Hall of Fame on Friday, Oct. 11 at 7 p.m.

This induction ceremony will take place at the Marriott in the Grand Ballroom where former head men’s basketball coach Bobby Dye, men’s soccer standout Mike Fox, and All-American gymnast Carol Johnston will also be inducted.
Individual tickets for the ceremony are available for $95, while groups of 10 may reserve a table for $800.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated