Red Bull Flugtag event to take place in Long Beach

In Arts & Entertainment
Courtesy of MCT/ Daily Titan
Courtesy of MCT/ Daily Titan

It’s a bird. It’s a plane. No, it’s … a human flying competition.

This year marks the first time Red Bull Flugtag will be a national event.  There will be five Red Bull Flugtag events on Sept. 21 in cities including Chicago, Washington D.C., Miami, Dallas and Long Beach.

The event features 32 teams from all over the country. Each team will run off of a 30-foot ramp with their self constructed gliders and attempt to fly before falling into Long Beach’s Rainbow Harbor.

Three of the teams participating will be representing Orange County.

Anchorman: The Legend of the Mustache, one of the local Orange County teams, is made up of high school and college friends from Fullerton, Anaheim Hills and Norco.

Their glider, skit and clothing are inspired by Ron Burgundy’s mustache from Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy.  

The other two teams representing Orange County are Oakley Factory Pilots from Foothills Ranch and Zombie Air from Rancho Santa Margarita.

The Red Bull Flugtag event gained a following since its inception in 2002.

Since the inaugural flight in San Francisco, the falling of participants has become popular fodder for YouTube videos.

Each team’s glider is self-constructed, have a maximum wingspan of 28 feet and a weight of 400 pounds, which includes the pilot.

In the past, teams have been creative with their flying vehicles, including piñatas, a 7/11 Big Gulp, a zombie and a birthday cake.

The top three teams will be awarded prizes including skydiving, VIP access to a Red Bull titled sporting event and a Red Bull titled music, dance or art event.

The celebrity judges will award the prizes based on distance, showmanship and creativity.

A fourth winner will be crowned with the People’s Choice Award.

The event is expecting over 110,000 attendees and is free for spectators. For more information about the annual event, visit their website RedBullFlugtagUsa.com.

Christian Maqueda strikes a ballerina pose on a table at CSUF.

CSUF student Christian Maqueda discovered a passion for dance through his involvement with high school color guard

To most, color guard is a spectacle before sporting events, but to Cal State Fullerton junior Christian Maqueda, it’s

Letter to the Editor:The Abrupt Dismissal of Clem Guthro as Dean of the University Library

I address this letter to the members of this university and its governing body with great concern in the

One commentOn Red Bull Flugtag event to take place in Long Beach