Award-winning jazz musician to perform with the Fullerton Jazz

In Arts & Entertainment, Music
Courtesy of CSUF
Courtesy of Cal State Fullerton

Meng Concert Hall will be in full swing with the Fullerton Jazz Orchestra, guest starring Swing Bros. recording artist, Harry Allen, on Friday.

Grammy-winning arranger and CSUF music professor, Bill Cunliffe, will conduct the performance.

The concert will feature a tribute to the late Brazilian musician, songwriter and composer, Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Jobim is most known for composing “Garota de Ipanema” (The Girl from Ipanema)—one of the most recorded songs of all time.

A special appearance by The Fullerton Jazz Singers will join Allen and the Jazz Orchestra.

Stan Getz, a famous American jazz saxophonist, was once asked his idea of the perfect tenor saxophone soloist.

He replied, “My technique, Al Cohn’s ideas and Zoot’s time. The fulfillment of that ideal may well be embodied in 30-year-old Harry Allen.”

Allen is an international award-winning artist whose album Tenors Anyone? has won the Gold Disc Award and New Star Award from Japan’s Swing Journal Magazine.

He has also recorded with famous singers and composers Tony Bennett, Sheryl Crow, Al Foster and Larry Goldings.

Raised in Los Angeles but currently residing in New York, Allen frequently tours the United States, Europe and Asia and has performed in many jazz festivals and clubs worldwide.

He is featured on many works by John Pizzarelli, a world-renowned jazz guitarist and singer, including the soundtrack of 1999’s The Out-of-Towners starring Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn.

Allen’s compositions have made the top ten list for favorite new releases in Swing Journal Magazine’s reader’s poll and Jazz Journal International critic’s poll for 1997.

The tenor saxophonist has also recorded a series of commercials for ESPN starring Robert Goulet.

The Harry Allen-Joe Cohn Quartet won the New York Nightlife Award for Outstanding Jazz Combo Performance of 2006 and was nominated for Best Jazz Combo by the Jazz Journalists Association for the same year.

The Fullerton Jazz Orchestra continues to receive high marks at college jazz festivals, including winning the 2004 and 2006 Reno College Jazz Festival.

They have also been featured on a live radio broadcast across North America as part of the Playboy Jazz Festival.

The Jazz Orchestra has produced four award-winning recordings and is currently working on a fifth.

Cunliffe, the conductor of the evening, directs CSUF’s Fullerton Jazz Orchestra, Fullerton Jazz Big Band and Fullerton Latin Ensemble (formerly known as Jazz Ensembles I and II).

He has toured as pianist and arranger with the Buddy Rich Big Band and has worked with Frank Sinatra, Joe Henderson and Freddie Hubbard, to name a few.

He currently plays with his trio, his big band and his Latin band, ‘Imaginación’, and performs on a national and international level.

Cunliffe recently received his fifth Grammy nomination in the Best Instrumental Composition category for his “Overture, Waltz and Rondo” for jazz piano, trumpet and orchestra.

The concert is scheduled to begin at 8 p.m.

Tickets are $10 for general admission and $8 with an advance Titan discount.

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the