Snow day at CSUF: From sliding on snow to skating on ice

In News
Students laced up to skate on the ice rink brought to campus. (Jessica Pineda / Daily Titan)

At CSUF, winter comes with a price tag. Every year as Christmas nears, Associated Students Inc. Productions (ASIP) works hard to put on an event that will bring students on campus, a more festive element.

ASIP had hosted Snow Day every year since 2004 at a cost of $6,745 until this year. Titans on Ice, a still-chilly change to the traditional winter festivities, brought artificial ice skating to the Quad for a slight increase in cost compared to Snow Day.

Snow Day involved transporting a large block of ice out to the central Quad and grinding it down to a hill for sleigh rides.

Students, as well as kids from the Children’s Center, were able to come down and enjoy riding sleds down the hill and playing in the snow provided.

Snow Day itself continued as its popularity grew throughout the years. To measure how successful these events were, ASI employed multiple strategies.

Members would look at waivers signed by attendees, which helped measure how many people were participating in the event. Also, surveys were taken at random to see how students felt about the event taking place.

Many students who grew accustomed to Snow Day share fond memories of it, but ASI felt that they could do more.

This year ASIP members needed an increase in the amount normally given in order to be able to afford to do a more revamped event named Titans on Ice.

For the first time, students were able to enjoy the very first ice rink at the campus. The extra money was needed in order to cover the cost of the ice rink in the Quad, although initially it appeared that much more money would have been required.

“Traditionally snow day is allocated $6,745,” said Jonathan Leggett, ASI executive vice president. “We had to ask for $1,645. The money accounts for the entire event, marketing, promos, and anything else.”

They worked with leadership and programming development advisor Nicole Moya to gather their notes and make the proper presentation to finalize Titans on Ice. Members then went before ASI’s finance committee, who approved the request to finance the event and pass it to the board of directors for approval.

As Snow Day did, Titans on Ice seemed to bring out the inner child in many students on campus. The surface the students skated on was an artificial compound that simulated the slick nature of ice.

Though there were mixed reactions to the changed event, students seemed more than pleased with ASIP’s drive to make things more interesting.

“It’s a unique event because we’re in Southern California and we often don’t see too much ice, especially in Fullerton area or in the Orange County area,” Leggett said.

Many students were happy with the fact that there were no lines, and impressed by how organized the event itself was. The ice rink company provided an ample amount of ice skates for visitors who desired to try their hand at skating.

“They’re both great events,” said Christina Quezada, a 19-year-old political science major. “The snow is a lot of fun but so is the ice skating because it’s different, it’s not something you normally see on a school campus.”

Though a number of students struggled on the artificial ice, many were determined to conquer it. Others did not get on the rink, but enjoyed the event from a distance.

Destiny Wells, a 19-year-old kinesiology major, said although she was a little surprised to see that the ice was not real, she was still happy with the event.

”It looked like people were still having fun,” Wells said. “I liked how they had the DJ out there and how they had free hot chocolate.”

Although the event was a success, maybe the allure of change will spark new ideas next December.