Third consecutive year, University Police is recognized with honor

In Campus News, Local News, News
The University Police is awarded the Accreditation with Excellence Award by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement. Courtesy of Cal State Fullerton
The University Police is awarded the Accreditation with Excellence Award by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement.
Courtesy of Cal State Fullerton

Cal State Fullerton’s University Police were recently recognized as an “extraordinary example of excellence” for the third consecutive year.

University Police was awarded the Accreditation with Excellence Award by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).

The award honors agencies that CALEA believes are deserving of further recognition for the effective use of accreditation as a model for the delivery of enhanced public safety services and management professionalism.

CALEA is a nationally recognized organization established in 1979 as a credentialing authority. The organization is governed by the International Association of Chiefs of Police, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, National Sheriffs’ Association and the Police Executive Research Forum.

Natalie Jameson, 19, a criminal justice major who works closely with many University Police officers in her position as a community service officer, said she was not surprised the department received recognition for its accomplishments.

Their accreditation process measures the ability of agencies to improve the delivery of public safety services, including crime prevention and control capabilities, establishing fair and nondiscriminatory personnel practices, improving service delivery and increasing community and staff confidence in the agency.

As part of the accreditation process, an assessment team visited the University Police in August. They conducted a public hearing and judged all aspects of the department’s policy and procedures, management, operations and support services to ensure that the University Police are in compliance with CALEA standards.

Of over the 900 agencies that CALEA currently reviews, 50 were awarded the Accreditation with Excellence Award in 2013. Only certain agencies qualify for consideration for the award.

To be eligible to receive the Accreditation with Excellence award, agencies must have earned CALEA Accreditation awards for three consecutive years. University Police have been accredited twice in addition to the last two calendar years, earning their first of five accreditations in 2001.

The CALEA also named University Police a flagship agency for the third consecutive year. That award honors agencies that are an “extraordinary example of excellence in an accredited law enforcement agency.”

University Police Chief Dennis DeMaio is encouraged the agency received the award. He is confident it will continue to serve as an example to other agencies.

“We are honored to have received the Accreditation with Excellence Award, which recognizes the highest achievement the agency gives to a police department,” said DeMaio in a CSUF news release. “This recognizes the drive, hard work and accomplishments of the entire department from our sworn officers and our professional staff members to our community service officers.”

“It’s cool to know that they got the award,” Sabrina Marquez, a biology major, said. “It makes people notice that things that we don’t really think about.”

There are currently 27 police officers employed by University Police, all of whom have received training through accredited police academies and operate with similar responsibilities and authority as officers in municipal and county law enforcement agencies.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated