California museums offer free admission for one day

In Art, Arts & Entertainment

Winter intersession is over and the neurons are firing again. Celebrate the first week of the new semester with a visit to one of 20 Southern California museums offering free admission on Jan. 25.

On that day, many museums––including the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Orange County Museum of Art  (OCMA)––will allow guests to explore the exhibits for free, but parking fees still apply.

See the space shuttle Endeavour, which carried Cal State Fullerton alumna Tracy Caldwell Dyson to the International Space Station in 2010.

The recently-retired shuttle shut down streets of Los Angeles in 2012 as it slowly creeped from Los Angeles International Airport into its home in a massive hangar at the California Science Center in LA.

At the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), tiny cars traverse seemingly-endless highways in the massive kinetic sculpture titled Metropolis II. Located on the first level of LACMA, the exhibit is captivating from any angle.

OCMA, in Newport Beach, is exhibiting the California Landscape Into Abstraction collection. More than 100 works of art from OCMA’s collection analyzes a divide between Southern California landscape artists and artists who took a more modernist approach.
Participating museums:

Annenberg Space for Photography

Armory Center for the Arts

Autry National Center of the American West

California African American Museum

California Science Center

Fowler Museum at UCLA

Getty Center

Getty Villa

Hammer Museum

Japanese American National Museum

Los Angeles County Museum of Art

Los Angeles Fire Department Museum and Memorial (Hollywood and San Pedro)

Museum of Contemporary Art

Museum of Latin American Art

Orange County Museum of Art

Paley Center for Media

Pasadena Museum of California Art

Santa Monica Museum of Art

USC Pacific Asia Museum