Kelly Thomas supporters protest acquittal of two Fullerton officers

In Local News, Multimedia, News, Slideshows, Top Stories

Updated at 7:15 p.m. to reflect new information.

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside the Fullerton Police Department Saturday to protest the acquittal of two former police officers accused of beating homeless man Kelly Thomas to death in 2011.

A California Campaign to STOP Police Brutality collaborated with various members of the community and Kelly’s Army, who are a local group of supporters, to organize the protest via Facebook.

Protesters took to the streets and marched down East Commonwealth Avenue toward the Fullerton Transportation Center where the deadly beating occurred.

Fullerton police made three arrests for vandalism and assault. The department issued a dispersal order after protestors turned violent, attacking a Ch. 2 news reporter, according to the official Fullerton Police Department Public Information Officer twitter page.

Officers made an additional 7 arrests for refusal to disperse.

Thomas died five days after a fatal confrontation with six Fullerton police officers in July 2011.

Former officers Manuel Ramos and Cpl. Jay Cicinelli were found not guilty on charges of beating Thomas to death in a Santa Ana courtroom.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said the FBI had opened an investigation in 2011 to determine if Thomas’ civil rights were violated during the altercation in a statement Tuesday.

“With the conclusion of the state court trial, investigators will examine the evidence and testimony to determine if further investigation is warranted at the federal level,” Eimiller said.

Ron Thomas, Kelly’s father, said he will meet with the U.S. Attorney General on Monday to discuss the case.

Protesters marched down Commonwealth Ave. towards Fullerton Transportation Center where Kelly Thomas was beaten.

Young Theatre hosts a sexy and cliche ‘Wild Party’

Somewhere in between “Chicago” and “The Great Gatsby” lies the vibrant themes and catchy tunes of Tony-nominated producer Andrew

Chicago should take a chance on Chance the Rapper for mayor to increase political interest in Millennials

A group of Chance the Rapper fans launched a website earlier this month devoted to convincing the artist to

China beard ban is vague and misguided

China recently placed a ridiculous new ban on beards and veils to push back against what its government believes

• zelduh

What? No photos of the riot police or their tank?

• Dave R

I hope they find Cicinelli and Ramos dead in a dark alley soon.