Student club offers Valentine’s Day photo shoot on Titan Walk

AMAshootStandard
Esmeralda Gonzalez, 18, a business major and Cristian Gonzalez, 19, a biology major pose for a picture during American Marketing Association’s “Shoot for Love” fundraiser event on Feb. 12 at Titan Walk. (Eleonor Segura / Daily Titan)

Students seeking a last-minute Valentine’s Day gift were greeted with opportunity Wednesday on Titan Walk, a photo opportunity.

The Cal State Fullerton branch of the American Marketing Association (AMA) offered a personalized Polaroid photograph package in a Valentine’s Day-themed envelope, $3 for one photo or $5 for two.

CSUF AMA held the event for the first time as a new way to raise funds to send members to AMA’s national marketing conference, which will take place this April in New Orleans.

Students used costumes and props like feather boas and masks to add some Valentine love into their snapshots.

“We always want to be original and come up with new ideas to fundraise,” said Cameron Tokumoto, a 20-year-old business marketing major who is the director of career opportunities for CSUF AMA.

Nancy Wang, a 24-year-old business marketing major and vice president of finance for CSUF AMA, was one of the photographers serving student customers.

Wang is in charge of a committee within the club to create fundraising ideas and to organize events. The committee thought this would be a good way to get interest from students and give a memorable gift come Valentine’s Day.

“It’s really personal,” she said. “Sometimes you spend a lot of money and then your valentine’s probably not going to remember it.”

Wang said the event also allows club members to practice marketing themselves and get as many people as possible interested in their events.

“It takes a lot of practice,” she said. “We try to advertise on Facebook and other social media to help get students’ attention … we also need to think what (props and costumes) students may be interested to take pictures with.”

Tokumoto said fundraising helps his organization give back to its members.

“It’s a large amount of money to fly to New Orleans, stay there for a few days, (pay for) all the food and stuff,” he said. “So we try to really help out our members and cut the costs down by fundraising, so … we can help reimburse our members for the money and that way it’s a more enjoyable experience.”

The club has held pie throwing events and taken professional headshot photographs for students in the past, Tokumoto said.

CSUF AMA also participates in a program sponsored by the College of Business and Economics where students can pay for tailgate packages and game tickets for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Wang said if the student turnout on Wednesday was strong, the club would likely repeat the event next year.