Album Review: We Are Scientists, TV en Français

In Arts & Entertainment, Music, Reviews
TV en Français, We Are Scientist' fifth studio album, features new songs of the indie alternative rock and punk genres. Courtesy of Pop-break.com
TV en Français, We Are Scientist’ fifth studio album, features new songs of the indie alternative rock and punk genres.
Courtesy of Pop-break.com

New York-based indie rock band We Are Scientists released their new album, TV en Français, after two years of production Monday.

This is the band’s first full-length album since their 2010 record, Barbra. Since then, they have released an EP titled Business Casual EP in 2013. The EP features two songs from TV en Français, “Dumb Luck” and “Return The Favor,” as well as a demo for “Courage.”

Since their formation in California back in 2000, the three-piece rock band has made five studio albums as well as six EPs. They first found success in their 2005 breakthrough album, With Love And Squalor, which included singles such as “Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt” and “The Great Escape.”

The two original members of We Are Scientists, Keith Murray and Chris Cain, created a television series called Steve Wants His Money Back which aired on MTV UK in 2009.

Since their 2002 debut album, Safety, Fun, and Learning (In That Order), We Are Scientists have not lost their rock and roll touch. TV en Français features the same indie alternative and punk sounds fans have always loved.

This is We Are Scientists’ first time working with Chris Coady as a producer. Coady has worked with bands such as Beach House, Wavves and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

“Working for the first time with Chris Coady as producer had a huge effect—he has such a distinct and well-developed sense of what’s cool and what sounds good, but he’s also emphatic about keeping the rawness of the performances in there,” Murray said in an interview with ContactMusic.com.

The album is introduced with a hard hitting break-up track, “What You Do Best.” Lead singer, Keith Murray, uses his exceeding lyrical talents in this vengeful tune. The timeless song can be found relatable to anyone who has been scorned by love with lyrics like, “And when I said that you were something else, I didn’t mean it as a compliment.”

TV en Français picks up speed with its second track, “Dumb Luck.” A repetitious and high-tempo guitar lick entices the listener as a drum beat and vocal harmonies bring rhythm to the song. The track serves as an anthem for rejecting the absent minded and to spread a message: “you can’t always keep getting by on dumb luck.”

The album’s mood gets lightened with “Make It Easy.” The pop rock hit features a thick bass line and harmonious back up vocals from bass player, Chris Cain. Themes of fidelity and sanctity of love are expressed in the song.

A ‘60s sounding vocal melody begins the song “Sprinkles.” A blend of funk rock and indie alternative guitar sounds bring a delightful cadence to the song. Topped off with a compelling guitar solo, the track makes any listener want to get up and dance.

The rock ballad “Courage” finishes off the first half of the album. A clean sounding electric guitar accompanies Murray’s profound baritone vocals. Themes of confrontation and facing ones demons resonate through the melody.

A reverb-soaked, translucent introduction begins “Return The Favor.” A thumping bass line and drum beat kick in along with airy guitar notes. The song finishes off with a heavily distorted guitar solo and carefully placed keyboard notes.

The ironically titled “Slow Down” features fast paced power chords and up-tempo drum beats. TV en Français concludes with the pop-rock track “Take An Arrow,” expressing themes of loyalty and faithfulness.

Tickets for their upcoming United States concerts can be purchased through WeAreScientists.com. They will be playing California venues May 6-10.

Christian Maqueda strikes a ballerina pose on a table at CSUF.

CSUF student Christian Maqueda discovered a passion for dance through his involvement with high school color guard

To most, color guard is a spectacle before sporting events, but to Cal State Fullerton junior Christian Maqueda, it’s

Letter to the Editor:The Abrupt Dismissal of Clem Guthro as Dean of the University Library

I address this letter to the members of this university and its governing body with great concern in the