Lammily doll will give young girls more realistic expectations about body image

Barbies have been a little girl’s bestfriend since their inception.

However, they have definitely given off the wrong idea to young girls—that beautiful is having an unrealistic, unattainable body and getting everything they might desire.

But now, the new “Lammily” doll created and designed by artist and researcher, Nickolay Lamm, who based it on the average measurements of a 19-year-old girl, is becoming a reality.

Something needed to come out and rebel against the juggernaut that is Barbie. Lammily could be it.

Lamm launched a Kickstarter page to raise $95,000 (£56,811) on March 5 and had already made over $106,000 (£63,390) the next day, according to The Independent.

The idea is that average is beautiful—just as being skinny, fit, slim or just the right amount of “curvy” is.

But that shouldn’t be the ultimate target or a depiction of the perfect woman figure.

“Currently, there is no doll like this on the market,” Lamm told Huffington Post.

Barbies, just as the many advertisements and intense projections of anorexic and unfit women in the media, are giving young girls and teeangers the wrong impression.

This has resulted in the genocide of the once curvy -and-beautiful mentality.

“But the fact remains that Barbie’s body proportions do affect the way young girls see themselves. Providing kids the option of playing with dolls who sport realistic bodies can only be a good thing,” according to Huffington Post.

Not only is this mindset dangerous for society, it is also extremely detrimental to these young girls’ health.

“Barbie has been criticised for having proportions that would see the doll have half a liver and be forced to walk on all fours if she were a real person,” according to The Independent.

Of course, representatives of Barbie and other unrealistic fashion dolls have defended their dolls.

“Barbie’s body was never designed to be realistic,”  said Kim Culmone, Mattel’s vice president of Barbie design, “She was designed for girls to easily dress and undress.”

The point here is being dismissed. Girls not only dress their dolls, they create stories and lives for them. So, if their Barbies are all the same size, how can reality be achieved?

Lamm made sure to get precise measurements for his doll.

Lammily’s measurements are based on the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s measurements for an average 19-year-old.

With these measurements, Lammily has proportions noticeably different to other dolls.

Not only does “Lammily” have average body proportions, she is also precisely defined with proper make-up, outfits and a foot size that could fit any type of shoe, as opposed to Barbie whose foot only properly fits into high stilettos.

This is contrary to Barbie and other fashion dolls that are accompanied with outfits that would only be worn going to balls, castles and nightclubs—all of which are unrealistic “hotspots” for the average child who plays with them.

“I wanted Lammily to wear clothes that Gap or J. Crew might design. There’s no reason why simple everyday clothes design can’t be transferred to doll clothes,” Lamm said.

The doll encompasses all of the aspects of an average woman that young girls should look forward to becoming a fit, natural woman.

It’s fitting that Lammily carries the tagline: “average is beautiful.”