OC Music Awards will honor artists with roots in local music scene

In Arts & Entertainment, Music
courtesy_ocmusicawards_STD
The award ceremony will take place Saturday at the City National Grove of Anaheim. The show will begin at 8 p.m.
Courtesy of OC Music Awards

A plethora of bands and musicians with roots in Orange County will be honored for their musical talents Saturday at the 13th annual OC Music Awards in Anaheim.

The ceremony, which will be held at the City National Grove of Anaheim, will commemorate some of Orange County’s most talented musicians, including well-known bands such as Avenged Sevenfold, Young the Giant and The Offspring.

“It’s really exciting to see all of the local bands come together for one night of honors and  performances,” said Ashley Eckenweiler, producer of the OC Music Awards. “The room is filled with over a hundred artists and music industry professionals, so it’s definitely looking to paint an adequate and deep picture of all the different types of music that is produced in this county.”

The ceremony will be distributing awards in over 26 categories, including Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Best New Artist. The awards will also cover a wide spectrum of musical styles, ranging from the familiar genres being honored with awards such as Best Rock award and Best Metal award, to the more non-traditional, niche varieties with categories like Best Surf award and Best Club DJ award.

On the ballot for Album of the Year is Hail to the King by Avenged Sevenfold, The Winter Tick by Jeramiah Red, Falling Bough Wisdom Teeth by Kiev, Victim to Villain by New Years Day and Call Your Friends by Zebrahead.

Young the Giant, winner of the Best Song award for their 2012 hit “Cough Syrup,” is once more on the ballot for Song of the Year, this time for their single “It’s About Time.”

Also among the awards to be given Saturday night is a category decided by fan vote, the People’s Choice award. The nominees for that particular category can be voted on by the public during the night of the awards ceremony via text messaging.

The ceremony will also include live performances from several of the nominated bands and musicians, including Breach the Summit, The Originalities and Kiev.

Kiev is also on the ballot for Best Indie award, which the band won in 2011 and 2012.

Blues musician Kid Ramos, a native of Fullerton, will also be performing during the ceremony. He will receive what Eckenweiler described as one of the main awards for the night: the Lifetime Achievement award. She said Ramos will receive the award for his commitment to music and the Orange County music community.

The Offspring will be receiving the Orange County Impact Award, another prominent award that Eckenweiler said would be handed out during the ceremony.

“The Offspring are largely responsible for reviving the mainstream popularity of American punk-pop rock in the ‘90s and have remained true to their artistic expression ever since,” according to the OC Music Awards website.

The nominees for the award ceremony are picked by the OC Music Awards Academy, which consists of over 30 members of the music industry community, Eckenweiler said.

The red carpet for the awards rolls out at 6:30 p.m. and the show will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets for the event can be purchased at TicketMaster.com.

Obama Awards recipients wait to receive their awards at the event on Saturday.

Orange County Young Democrats celebrate victory with Obama Awards

Triumphant cheers filled the air as Orange County Democrats, including Gil Cisneros, 39th District congressman-elect and Priya Shah, instructor

A woman from the Tree Society drives a wheelbarrow full of tree parts down a dirt path.

Voices from Home: The Huntington Beach Tree Society plants trees for the community

The city of Huntington Beach often brings to mind a picturesque coastline landscape tucked close to suburban life and

Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.

Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery