Setting pace to match a playlist improves workout

In Fitness

Working out can be a grueling task, so exercisers look to find ways to distract their mind through the parts of their routine that burn the most. One of most common escapes exercisers turn to is throwing on their Beats headphones and engulfing themselves in music.

Music not only blocks out distractions, but it can have a physiological effect on people as well. Studies done at the University of Missouri have indicated that upbeat music can improve your mood, and it’s those songs that will often be found on gym playlists.

Songs between 120 and 140 beats per minute are the most effective for workouts, according to Huffington Post. Having a workout buddy can be a beneficial means for motivation, but if you find yourself alone at the gym, music is the next best tactic. Plus, music can put you in the zone during a cardio workout and make you forget about the pain you are feeling, which keeps you going.

If you are just starting to create a workout playlist, or want to update an old one, a good place to start is a subscription to Run Hundred. If you subscribe to Run Hundred, you will be sent a list of top-10 workout songs for that month for free.

The list is generated from users voting on what songs they would like to work out to. The songs will have a powerful combination of a fast pace and its relevancy in pop culture. The trick to having an effective workout with your music is to exercise in tempo with the songs.

The March Run Hundred list includes the popular new song “#selfie” by The Chainsmokers, which is 128 beats per minute. The slowest song on the list is Jason Derulo and 2 Chainz’s “Talk Dirty” with 101 beats per minute and the fastest is “The Walker” by Fitz and The Tantrums at a pace of 132 beats per minute.

In addition to the playlist of the month, Run Hundred has many other playlists that can be categorized by genre, decade or tempo.

Spotify, a popular music database, can be tuned in to listen to different playlists for different occasions. The “Spotify Ultimate Workout Playlist 2014” has 20 songs and includes uplifting tracks such as the infectious “Happy” by Pharrell Williams and the Grammy Award winning “Royals” by Lorde. Others to make the list include Katy Perry’s “Roar,” Ellie Goulding’s “Burn” and last summer’s blockbuster hit “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk.

When you are working on cardio at the gym, it is beneficial to practice interval training. Interval training increases your metabolism, burns fat and is more efficient than jogging at a slow pace for a longer period of time.

Shape.com compiled a list of songs that alternate from 80 beats per minute to 120 beats per minute to fit the up-and-down cycle of a cardio interval training session.

The 80 beats per minute songs include “Ho Hey” by The Lumineers, “We Can’t Stop” by Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry’s “Wide Awake,” Lana Del Rey’s “Off to the Races” and “Perfume” by Britney Spears. The 120 beats per minute songs on the list include Sean Paul’s “The Other Side of Love,” the Captain Cuts remix of Ellie Goulding’s “Lights,” “As We Enter” by Damian Marley and Nas, “Tonight is the Night” by Outasight and “Alors on Danse” by the collaboration of Kanye West, Stromae and Wilbere Forte.

So next time you hit the gym, remember to pack your headphones so you can plug in while you work out and enhance your exercise routine.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions