Titan softball escapes from Bakersfield without a loss

Junior Eliza Crawford helped the Titans to a win and a tie in their doubleheader on Wednesday with Cal State Bakersfield. Crawford went 4-for-6 on the day including a three-run home run in game two. Winnie Huang / Daily Titan
Junior Eliza Crawford helped the Titans to a win and a tie in their doubleheader on Wednesday with Cal State Bakersfield. Crawford went 4-for-6 on the day including a three-run home run in game two.
Winnie Huang / Daily Titan

In its final warm-up before conference play, the Cal State Fullerton softball team won its first game but tied the second in a doubleheader versus Cal State Bakersfield on Wednesday afternoon at RR Softball Complex.

In game one, the Titans shutout Bakersfield 6-2 behind pitcher Jasmine Antunez. She improved to 8-6 on the season. Antunez went six innings, allowing seven hits and two earned runs. The sophomore struck out five while walking just two batters.

Tied 1-1 in the third inning, the Titans got some help from the Bakersfield defense as it committed an error on a Eliza Crawford hit, allowing Delynn Rippy to score, giving CSUF the lead. Crawford was 2-for-3 with one run batted in and drew one walk.

In the fourth inning, Missy Taukeiaho broke the game open as she smashed a two-run home run to left field, her 10th home run of the year, giving her team a 4-1 lead. Taukeiaho’s finished the game 2-for-4 with three runs batted. The sophomore also pitched a scoreless seventh inning in relief.

Roadrunners’ starting pitcher Kelsie Monroe was roughed in her five innings of work, allowing eight hits and five runs as she dropped to 7-12 on the season. In total, the Titans (19-12-1) tagged Roadrunners pitching for 11 hits, six of which were extra-base hits, including doubles from Taukeiaho, Crawford, Ariel Tsuchiyama and Samantha Galarza.

CSUB’s Jessica Castaneda and Syndey Raeber led the Roadrunners’ offense. Castaneda was 2-for-2 with one run batted in and two walks, while Raeber was 2-for-4 with one run scored.

In game two, the Titans let an early lead slip away as the Roadrunners battled back and the two teams ended the game in a 10-10 tie. After leading 7-1, the Titans ran into issues in the fourth inning as CSUB (9-25-1) put seven runs on the scoreboard to take a 8-7 lead.

The Titans were able to regain the lead in the sixth inning. The inning was  highlighted by a Tsuchiyama RBI double and Crawford RBI single to put the Titans ahead 10-8.

However in the bottom of the inning, the Roadrunners scored two runs to tie the game thanks to a sacrifice fly from Amber Mills and a bases loaded walk to Karsyn Guzman. The scoring would go no further than that as the game would end shortly after at 10-10.

Titans’ starter Christina Washington went three innings, allowing five hits and three runs, two earned.  Her biggest mistake came in the crucial fourth inning when she allowed a two-run home run to Mills. In the inning, the Titans used four pitchers in total including Monique Wesley, Antunez and Taukeiaho.

Mills, the CSUB starting pitcher, went three innings allowing six hits and four earned runs. At the plate, Mills led the Roadrunners’ offense in game two, going 1-for-2 with three runs batted in and a run scored. Amy Ricciardi also provided the CSUB offense two hits and two runs batted in.

CSUF got things going early with a four-run first inning. After a Taukeiaho double and Gabby Aragon walk, Crawford came up and sent the 1-1 pitch over the center field wall for a three-run home run. The next batter, Galarza, doubled, and later scored after Lauren Mario reached on a Roadrunners’ error.

In the third inning, Titans kept their power display going with a solo home run from Aragon and a Mario two-run blast. Taukeiaho’s two-game performance brought her batting average up to .371 and now has 23 runs batted in for the season.

Crawford finished the game 2-for-3 with four runs batted in.  This season, Crawford is batting .293 with nine home runs and 24 runs batted it.

The Titans will now turn their attention to the start of Big West Conference play as it hosts UC Santa Barbara this weekend.  The Titans and Gauchos will play a doubleheader on Saturday with the final game being played Sunday.

For more information on the CSUF softball team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.