Autism is not a symptom of vaccination

Recently, the OC Health Care Agency announced a measles outbreak in Orange County.

This year, 22 cases have been reported in Orange County, a marked increase from the three cases reported in the last five years.

One of the best ways someone can ensure protection against measles, is to have his or her Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) immunizations up to date.

In fact, the 19 out of the 32 cases reported statewide were due to lack of immunization.

Regardless of that, some argue that immunizations, particularly the MMR vaccine has a variety of adverse side effects and so should not be given.

The most controversial argument is that the MMR vaccine causes autism.

Notably, Jenny McCarthy has said the autism-like symptoms her son has were caused by his measles vaccination.

But that is hogwash.

Now, all this started when Andrew Wakefield, a medical researcher and surgeon, presented a paper in 1998 that stated that the MMR vaccine causes gastrointestinal problems in children, which led to chronic enterocolitis (swollen intestines), and this was associated with behavioral dysfunction, which included autism.

Basically, what it meant was autistic children were associated with having an “inflamed or dysfunctional intestine.”

The key word here being associated, not caused, but associated.

Surely, basic English classes have taught people that association and causation do not share the same definition.

If Wakefield himself said the link is an association, it seems ridiculous to say the MMR vaccine causes autism.

It should also be noted that after presenting his findings and causing wild panic among parents, Wakefield lost his credentials and his paper was retracted because there were several holes in his research.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) listed a number of “critical flaws” with Wakefield’s research. One of which was the expected coincidence between MMR vaccines and an autism diagnosis.

An autism diagnosis is often given around the same time an MMR vaccine is administered. Ninety percent of children in England received the vaccine during the time of the study, according to the AAP, so it is expected that children with a diagnosis of autism would have received an MMR vaccine recently.

Another noteworthy flaw is that while Wakefield stated the behavior differences are a “sequel” to the intestine problems, the data shows the behavior symptoms occurred before the bowel symptoms.

In most cases however, the bowel symptoms could not even be identified.

In California, as of Jan. 1, 2014, parents have the option to opt out of the vaccinations even if their reasons are not tied to religious beliefs.

But let’s look at the numbers first.

In a search done on the Vaccine Adverse Effect Reporting System (VAERS), a self report system the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention developed, there were 64 cases reported in California that listed autism or autistic spectrum disorder as an adverse effect of the MMR vaccine from 1990 to 2014.

That’s an average of 2.6 cases reported each year during the 24-year period.

VAERS also makes it clear that the data reported is correlational, not causal.

Adding onto that are the several trend studies done both in the United States and internationally that show while there has been pronounced rise in the number of autism cases reported, the number of MMR vaccines administered have remained the same or have had a relatively small rise.

One study in California, in 2001, reported a 373 percent rise in number of autism cases from 1980 and 1994, but only a 14 percent rise in MMR vaccines administered. Other studies have shown similar data.

These studies show that there is not even an association between the MMR vaccines and an increase in autism occurrences in children.

If there were, the increase in autism occurrences would have had a much smaller rise, instead of ballooning as it did.

However, because Jenny McCarthy said her son’s autism was caused by an MMR vaccine, it must be true.

Hogwash.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated

3 commentsOn Autism is not a symptom of vaccination

• Anti-vaccine campaigners will likely cling to their failed ideas despite the evidence that autism begins in utero, long before the administration of the postnatal vaccines that antivaxxers have long blamed for the disorder:

Stoner R et al. Patches of disorganization in the neocortex of children with autism. N Engl J Med. 2014 Mar 27;370(13):1209-19

Willsey AJ et al. Coexpression networks implicate human midfetal deep cortical projection neurons in the pathogenesis of autism. Cell. 2013 Nov 21;155(5):997-1007.

Parikshak NN et al. Integrative functional genomic analyses implicate specific molecular pathways and circuits in autism. Cell. 2013 Nov 21;155(5):1008-21

Carpentier PA et al. Stereotypical alterations in cortical patterning are associated with maternal illness-induced placental dysfunction. J Neurosci. 2013 Oct 23;33(43):16874-88

Walker CK et al. Trophoblast inclusions are significantly increased in the placentas of children in families at risk for autism. Biol Psychiatry. 2013 Aug 1;74(3):204-11

Courchesne E et al. Neuron number and size in prefrontal cortex of children with autism. JAMA. 2011 Nov 9;306(18):2001-

• You are assuming that all babies and toddlers have the same body system, and that vaccines are safe for all babies and children. That is HOGWASH. Peanuts and penicillin are safe. However, not everyone’s bodies react the same way to peanuts and penicillin. One person is fine eating peanuts or taking penicillin while others may have a reaction. The same way is true with vaccines. You do not know what the infants and toddlers are allergic to, yet. You have heard of some dogs limping and cats limping after their vaccines. Yes, most dogs and cats do not limp after their vaccines but some do. Listen to the parents. If they say that their child started limping after an MMR shot, then that child may have been sensitive to the MMR shot. It is not the parent’s imagination. The child was fine before the MMR shot and now the child is limping after the MMR shot. To say that all vaccines are safe for all children is HOGWASH. It is like saying eggs, peanuts, penicillin, sulfa drugs are all safe to all people. There should be a test for vaccine sensitivities before administering the vaccines to infants and babies. But no. Doctors and nurses just poke all these infants and toddlers with vaccines month after month, year after year without any test for sensitivities first. So, don’t be a blind believer because one of your family already has the autism gene which means that the autism can wake up anytime in the family once something wrong gets in the body.

• Do more research blog writer! Before you write a fictional article, you must educate yourself on the topic. Vaccine inserts state autism is a possible side effect! These parents whom have choosen not to vaccinate is NOT because of Jenny McCarthy, it is from the hours and hours of research on the matter. Vaccinations are toxic ingredients and to believe there are no side effects from them, is plain STUPID!