Coachella music festival kicks off this weekend

In Arts & Entertainment, Music
OutKast, Muse, and Arcade Fire will heat up the Indio stage as this year's headliners at the popular music festival. Courtesy of Coachella Arts and Music Festival
OutKast, Muse, and Arcade Fire will heat up the Indio stage as this year’s headliners at the popular music festival.
Courtesy of Coachella Arts and Music Festival

Artists, music fans and some of the biggest musical acts from across the globe all converge in the small California desert town of Indio for the 15th annual Coachella Arts and Music Festival beginning Friday.

Coachella 2014 will fill the desert air with some of today’s most popular music from April 11-13 and again from April 18-20, with both weekends having identical lineups. OutKast, Muse and Arcade Fire will headline this year’s sold-out festival that takes place at Indio’s Empire Polo Fields.

Tickets for the festival went on sale for $375 on Jan. 10 and sold out in 2 hours and 37 minutes, beating the previous record set in 2012 by 20 minutes, according to an article on Billboard.com.

Goldenvoice, the company that runs Coachella, has long been praised for its ability to book a wide range of cutting-edge acts, which span many genres and range from burgeoning newcomers to all-time classics. This year bears no exception.

With scheduled performances by desert rockers Queens of the Stone Age, dubstep guru Skrillex and 17-year-old breakout pop star Lorde, whose 2013 hit “Royals” was named the second best song of last year by Rolling Stone, music fans of any ilk should be able to find something on the polo fields that suits their taste.

The 2014 lineup offers a unique balance of acts young and old that range from the radio-friendly pop of Ellie Goulding and Foster the People, to ‘90s indie-rock darlings The Replacements and Neutral Milk Hotel, and even delve into the strange avant-garde performance art of Woodkid and Goat.

One of the most highly anticipated sets of the festival is OutKast’s reunion performance. The hip-hop duo, hailing from Atlanta, has been on hiatus since 2006 shortly after the release of their last album Idlewild. Coachella marks the first time the group has performed live in almost seven years, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Nas, another classic hip-hop artist, will also play a special set at this year’s festival. The 40-year-old Brooklyn emcee will perform his iconic 1994 album Illmatic in its entirety in celebration of the album’s 20th anniversary, according to the rapper’s website.

Both Sundays of the festival will conclude with a headlining set by the Grammy Award-winning band Arcade Fire. The band also headlined the festival in 2011, making them the quickest returning headliners in the history of the annual festival since its beginnings in 1999.

In addition to the performances, festival goers can enjoy a variety of interactive art exhibits, gourmet foods, craft beer and take care of their 2014 Record Store Day shopping at the festival’s own record store.

In order to accommodate upwards of 160 musical acts and thousands of attendees per weekend, the festival grounds are set up with a main stage, outdoor theater and three tents in addition to a few smaller forums that offer an air-conditioned reprieve from the desert heat while world renowned DJs spin the latest hits.

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed

A photo of visitors at the Shwedagon Pagoda.

Column: A glimpse into Myanmar culture

California may be the Golden State, but about 7,785 miles across the Pacific Ocean is the “Golden Land” of