CSUF men’s golf back-to-back Big West champions

The Cal State Fullerton men’s golf team clinched its second straight conference title after emerging victorious at the Big West Conference Championships at the Soboba Springs Country Club in San Jacinto.

The tournament lasted only two rounds after the final round was cancelled due to high winds, but regardless, the Titans walked away with the conference crown after two strong rounds, shooting an overall 2-over 578.

The conference title is the first outright championship for the program since its reinstatement during the 2009-10 season. The Titans finished as co-champions with the Pacific Tigers in last year’s event. The victory also gives the Titans an NCAA Regionals bid, which went to Pacific last year after the Tigers defeated CSUF in a one-hole playoff.

CSUF got off to a strong start by shooting a 1-under 287 and topping the leaderboards after day one. In day two, the Titans struggled slightly, shooting a 3-over 291, but it was more than enough to keep the team in the lead and ultimately giving the Titans the title since no final round was to be played.

UC Davis finished in second with a 4-over 580, followed by UC Riverside, which shot a 10-over 586.

In the individual aspect of the tournament, the Titans were quite impressive as they were the only program to place all five of their competitors in the top 20.

Mark Anguiano finished tied for second with a 3-under 141 for the tournament. The senior’s first round 4-under 68 kept him in second, trailing first place by one stroke. In the second round, Anguiano shot a 1-over 73, allowing Nainoa Calip of Hawaii and Kyle Knapp of Cal State Northridge to catch him in the standings.

It was Anguiano’s ninth top-three finish of the year.

UC Davis’ Matt Hansen captured the individual title with a dominant performance, finishing with an 8-under 136. In the first round, Hansen shot a 5-under 67 to put himself in prime position for the title.

Hansen was coming off a tournament win at the El Macero Classic, which also featured Anguiano in second place.

Corey Gard, who finished tied for first in last year’s championships, shot a 2-under 144, tying him for ninth place with Brian Lee of Hawaii and Nicolas Noya of UC Davis. After shooting a 2-over 74 in the first round, the senior rebounded with a 2-under 70 in the second round, giving him a top-10 finish.

Senior Scott Rubzin and junior Ryan Tetrault earned a 14th place finish after shooting a 3-over 147. Tetrault’s best round came on the first day when he shot an even par 72.

Kyle De Silva shot a 5-over 149, which tied him for 19th in the standings. In the first round, the freshman shot a 1-over 73 before struggling with a 4-over 76 in round two.

The victory was the Titans’ seventh top-five finish this season, which included tournament titles at the Bill Cullum Invitational and Folino Invitational. They placed second at the Itani Quality Home Collegiate.

Cal State Fullerton advances to the NCAA Division I men’s regionals as the conference automatic qualifier.

Selections for the regional Fullerton will be in are slated for Monday, May 5 at 7:00 a.m. (PDT) on the Golf Channel.

For more information on the CSUF men’s golf team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.

A comprehensive map of CSUF campus with bubbles highlighting the crime locations.

Crime on campus in the month of February

Crime activity on campus in the month of February includes a missing person incident, marijuana possession, public intoxication and

ASI members getting ready to wrap a a meeting in a boardroom setting.

ASI approves legal changes to Titan Student Center bylaws

The Associated Students Inc. Board of Directors have decided to approve several legal changes to the Titan Student Centers’