CSUF softball finishes series strong

Senior catcher Ariel Tsuchiyama scored one of five CSUF runs in the win over the Mustangs. Tsuchiyama is batting .319 in 2014. Winnie Huang / Daily Titan
Senior catcher Ariel Tsuchiyama scored one of five CSUF runs in the win over the Mustangs. Tsuchiyama is batting .319 in 2014.
Winnie Huang / Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton softball team won, 5-3, in the finale of a three-game series against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Sunday.

The Titans (27-20-1, 8-7 Big West) lost a doubleheader to the Mustangs on Saturday but were able to salvage a win in the series.

Freshman Sierra Hyland took the circle for the Mustangs (28-18, 9-6 Big West) after shutting out the Titans in the first game of a doubleheader Saturday. She leads the Big West Conference in wins, innings pitched, strikeouts and earned run average. Hyland is a finalist for the inaugural National Fastpitch Coaches Association Division I National Freshman of the Year trophy.

Hyland walked sophomore third baseman Missy Taukeiaho to open the game. Sophomore second baseman Samantha Galarza singled to drive in Taukeiaho to give the Titans an early 1-0 lead.

Sophomore Monique Wesley pitched for the Titans after losing despite pitching well in game two Saturday. Wesley was roughed up by the Mustangs in the first inning. She walked senior shortstop Kim Westlund to lead off the bottom of the first inning. An error by Taukeiaho put runners on first and second with nobody out.

Freshman right fielder Courtney Tyler reached on an error by Wesley, which scored Westlund to tie the game. Senior catcher Mariah Cochiolo singled, scoring two to give the Mustangs a 3-1 lead. Wesley got the next two hitters to pop out to stop the bleeding. All three runs allowed by Wesley were unearned.

The Titans rallied in the second inning. Freshman designated player Sydney Colenzo led off the inning with a single. Senior center fielder Jena Rubio bunted into a fielders choice. Rubio advanced to second on a throwing error by Cochiolo. Senior left fielder Leesa Harris drove in Rubio to cut the Mustang lead to one.

Hyland intentionally walked Taukeiaho and hit senior catcher Ariel Tsuchiyama to load the bases for the Titans. Senior shortstop Gabby Aragon reached first on a fielding error by senior second baseman Ashley Romano that scored two more runs.

Galarza hit another ground ball to Romano, who made another error, which scored Tsuchiyama. Hyland struck out senior right fielder Lauren Mario to end the inning with the Titans leading 5-3. All four runs allowed by Hyland in the second inning were unearned.

Hyland and Wesley put on a pitching clinic the remainder of the game. Hyland finished the game allowing only one earned run with four hits and struck out four. Wesley pitched a gem as well, allowing zero earned runs on only three hits.
The series win for the Mustangs puts them in third place in the Big West, trailing only Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara. The Titans sit in fourth place, just a game behind the Mustangs.

For more information on the CSUF softball team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com