CSUF softball hosts Aggies in critical Big West Conference series

The Titans rally in a pre-game huddle. The Titans will return to Anderson Family Field to face the UC Davis Aggies this weekend. Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan
The Titans rally in a pre-game huddle. The Titans will return to Anderson Family Field to face the UC Davis Aggies this weekend.
Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton softball team returns to Anderson Family Field as it hosts UC Davis in a Big West Conference matchup this weekend.

On Saturday, the Titans and Aggies will play a doubleheader with the first game starting at 4 p.m. and second game starting immediately following the end of the first. The final game of the series will start Sunday at noon.

CSUF (27-20-1, 8-7 Big West) has struggled as of late, going 1-3 in its last four games, including a series loss to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo that dropped the Titans into fourth place in the Big West. With the season winding down, the Titans have a chance to finish strong starting with a struggling UC Davis team.

Sophomore third baseman Missy Taukeiaho has been a complete nightmare for opposing pitchers, batting .415 with 15 home runs and 39 runs batted in. Her 61 hits on the season lead the team.

Junior first baseman Eliza Crawford has provided another power option for the Titans, hitting 10 home runs of her own with 28 runs batted in and a .270 batting average while senior shortstop Gabby Aragon is batting .294 with six home runs and 28 runs batted in.

In the circle, Christina Washington is 9-5 this season with a 3.88 earned run average. The freshman has 48 strikeouts in 108.1 innings pitched. Jasmine Antunez is 10-9 with a 4.05 earned run average. The sophomore has struck out a team-high 90 batters in 109 innings this season.

The Aggies (17-29, 6-9 Big West) enter the series having gone 3-5 in the last eight games.

Kelly Zboralske leads the team with six home runs and 22 runs batted in with a .292 batting average. Lauren Sanders is second on the team with five home runs and 19 runs batted in. Christa Castello leads the team with a .299 batting average and has knocked in 18 runs.

Pitching could very well be the deciding factor in the series as the Aggies pitching staff looks to be overmatched versus the Titans high-powered offense. Dana Cruse is 9-9 this season with a 3.66 earned run average. In 107 innings, Cruse has struck out 50 batters. Andrea Reynolds leads the team with a 3.13 earned run average but is only 3-6 this season.

Last season, the Titans dropped two of three to the Aggies on the road with every game being decided by one run.

On Thursday, the Titans welcome Santa Clara for a non-conference game at 6 p.m. The Broncos (7-30, 2-7 West Coast Conference) have lost six of their last eight games. Despite the struggles, Santa Clara features a solid offense led by Stephanie Fisher and Kelly Scribner.

Fisher is batting .374 with three home runs and 16 runs batted in while Scribner has a .288 average with six home runs.

This season, the Titans are 19-12 at Anderson Family Field and will look to continue their success in front of their home fans.

For more information on the CSUF softball team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.