Earth Week to feature recycling robot and art contest

Earth Week will include farmers markets on the Cal State Fullerton campus and instructional seminars on recycling. (Courtesy of Cal State Fullerton)

MRFY (Mur-fee) the recycling robot is visiting Cal State Fullerton next week to help promote the university’s new waste hauler and a campuswide recycling program.

MRFY, which stands for material recovery facility, is a talking, rolling and teaching robot made from recycled materials by Republic Services, a waste management service. His visit is one of the many events planned for CSUF’s Earth Week celebrations from April 15-17.

This year, the theme is “Sustainability: Local Choices with Global Consequences.” Everything during this event, down to the food served by the food trucks, is going to be sustainable.

“The goal of Earth Week is to educate about sustainability, which is a very broad topic covering economics, business, communications, behavior, literature, politics, social organizations, social justice, environment, science, technology, art, education, and health,” said Tamara Wagner, the sustainability projects coordinator with Facilities Operations. “It involves living within the regenerative capacity of our planet and affects the quality of our experience here and now.”

Tuesday’s event will feature a green vehicle exhibition with hydrogen cars, hybrids and other vehicles with alternative fuel systems on display.

The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) will also bring in a bus so students can tour through the vehicle and learn about public transportation.

“It’s definitely more of (an event where) I’m walking through and I’m getting information. It’s not an event where you’ll be sitting there for hours,” said Amanda Lopez, the director of the Associated Students Inc. Committee for Environmental Sustainability. “You come, you learn what you want, and then you can leave.”

Events for Wednesday include MRFY’s visit, a smart shopper’s fair and a farmer’s market where students can purchase fresh produce, cheese, honey and other delicacies.

Although the deadline for a recycled art contest was last Friday, Lopez said they are still accepting submissions.

“There’s not a lot of restrictions on it. As long as you are making something new out of something old, you can use whatever you want,” Lopez said. “You can use new canvas or stuff like that, of course.”

The submitted artwork will be displayed at the Becker Amphitheater on Wednesday where students will vote on their favorite artwork. The winning piece will be displayed at the Titan Student Union, and the winner will receive two VIP tickets to the Spring Concert.

“It involves living within the regenerative capacity of our planet and affects the quality of our experience here and now.”

Tamara Wagner, the sustainability projects coordinator with Facilities Operations, on Earth Week

The second annual Sustainability Symposium will round out the Earth Week events on April 17.

Students and faculty members will be giving presentations, posters and exhibits on sustainability during the morning session. The evening session will feature three guest speakers: Kyle Thiermann, who made a documentary titled Surfing for Change, Jerry Meral, the director for the California Water Program and Beth Karlin, a psychology professor at UC Irvine who studies the influence technology has on social change.

Cal State Fullerton’s Earth Week is a joint effort between the ASI Committee for Environmental Sustainability and the Facilities Operations Director’s Office.

Obama Awards recipients wait to receive their awards at the event on Saturday.

Orange County Young Democrats celebrate victory with Obama Awards

Triumphant cheers filled the air as Orange County Democrats, including Gil Cisneros, 39th District congressman-elect and Priya Shah, instructor

A woman from the Tree Society drives a wheelbarrow full of tree parts down a dirt path.

Voices from Home: The Huntington Beach Tree Society plants trees for the community

The city of Huntington Beach often brings to mind a picturesque coastline landscape tucked close to suburban life and

Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.

Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery