Fourth student charged in beating of CSUF basketball player

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.30.42 PMA fourth Fullerton College student was charged Monday with two felonies in connection with an August assault on a Cal State Fullerton basketball player.

Malcolm Postell is now a co-defendant with Ahmad Muse, Terrence Lange and Sean Duncan-Wills. Muse, Lange and Postell have played football for Fullerton College.

The four are accused of beating Joseph Boyd, a freshman forward on the CSUF basketball team, after they left a party in the University House Fullerton apartment complex.

Fullerton Police Department officers obtained surveillance footage from University House showing several men attacking Boyd.

According to the police report the footage showed, at about 1:15 a.m. on the night of the assault, as Boyd, accompanied by his girlfriend and other friends, stood near an elevator, a group of men approached the elevator and began arguing with Boyd. The main suspect, who Head Coach Tim Byrnes identified as Muse, punched Boyd in the face as he was looking away.

As his friends attempted to hold the attackers back, Boyd stood near the elevator and raised his hands in what police described as a gesture to say he did not want to fight. Despite this, a second suspect, later identified as Lange, sucker punched Boyd in the right side of his head as he was looking away, causing his head to slam against a wall and collapse, possibly knocking him unconscious.

As Boyd tried to get up, a third suspect, later identified as Duncan-Wills, struck him in the spine. While he tried to stand again, a fourth suspect punched him on the left side of the head, resulting in his head hitting the elevator frame and possibly knocking him unconscious again.

Shortly afterward, Boyd’s friends got in an elevator and fled the scene. Police observance of other cameras notes the four main suspects left together, and two of them were seen laughing and high-fiving one another.

In the police reports compiled as officers were investigating the case, one officer interviewed Postell, who said he was in the Los Angeles area with his girlfriend at the time the assault took place. He also noted Postell did not match the description of the fourth suspect. However, the same officer interviewed a witness who identified Postell as one of the men who attacked Boyd.

Postell is no longer listed on the football team roster for the Fullerton College Hornets. He was on the team as recently as Sept. 7, when the Hornets defeated Long Beach City College in their first game of the season, but he did not play in that game, according to game results on the Hornets’ website.

The pre-trial disposition hearing for the four defendants was deferred to June 4. A preliminary hearing, where it will be determined if there is enough evidence to proceed with the trial, is scheduled for June 30.