Fullerton College students to face trial for assaulting CSUF basketball player

BoydDecember
Joseph Boyd (right), pictured at a game in January, is a freshman forward on the Cal State Fullerton basketball team. He suffered a concussion and other injuries when he was assaulted in August. (Winnie Huang / Daily Titan)

Three Fullerton College students accused of aggravated assault against a player on the Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball team are scheduled for a pre-trial and disposition hearing Monday regarding the charges against them.

Ahmad Malcom Muse, Sean Duncan-Wills and Terrence Lange have been accused of felony charges in connection with the beating of Joseph Boyd after attending a party last August that was held at University House Fullerton. All three pleaded not guilty to the charges in their arraignments on August 30.

At the hearing, a trial date may be set, or another pre-trial hearing may be planned to work out scheduling and other issues.

The upcoming hearing will be the fourth for the three suspects, two of whom played football for Fullerton College. The previous three pre-trial disposition hearings have all been rescheduled.

The three are accused of assaulting Boyd by the parking garage elevator of University House in the early morning of August 23. The altercation followed a dispute that had occurred while attending the party in a University House apartment, according to Fullerton Police Department reports.

Muse is also accused of sexually harassing Boyd’s girlfriend, who attended the party with Boyd, which was set off the argument.

Boyd said in multiple police reports that Muse inappropriately touched his girlfriend while attending the party, and he told Muse that he felt disrespected by his behavior. When Boyd told Muse “that’s my girl,” he replied “No, that’s our girl.”

The tenants of the apartment asked Muse’s group to leave the party after the dispute; they complied, but confronted Boyd in the parking structure shortly afterward.

One witness said Boyd was approached by nine people and assaulted by three to four men, who took turns punching him in the face. One of the men kicked Boyd in the face while he was on the ground, the witness said.

Boyd said he was disappointed regarding security at University House.

“Being in that apartment complex, you’re supposed to be protected. That shouldn’t happen,” he said in an interview. “If anything, that should happen outside of the apartment complex. That shouldn’t just happen in the garage and … nobody tries to stop it. The only people that ever found out about it were the police that we called.”

Boyd said security is minimal, even for Thursday through Saturday, days that are generally regarded as “party” days.

Following the incident, Boyd, an Arizona native, said he felt uncomfortable living anywhere near University House. He stayed at a hotel for a week and also temporarily stayed with Dedrique Taylor, the head coach of the men’s basketball team.

Boyd said injuries from the attack hindered his ability to perform as an athlete.

“It took a long time for me to get back into the swing of things … I had a concussion and several injuries all over the face and body that held me back … for about three months,” he said.

The injuries Boyd suffered also hindered him financially, since he receives checks as part of a scholarship for being a part of the basketball team, and he had to wait to pick up the checks while paying for his treatment.

Boyd said the assault could have been racially motivated, but was not able to definitively confirm that.

“They only hit me and I had friends with me that were black, so it could be racially motivated,” he said. “I’m not sure, though. I’m not in their shoes so I’m not sure what they’re feeling, because there was really no reason to do what they did.”

The Fullerton College Communications Department and Athletics Department could not be reached for comment. Fullerton Police Department and University House representatives did not return calls requesting comment.

Muse is listed on the most recent Fullerton College football roster, but Lange, who previously played for the Hornets, is not. Muse competed in football games as recently as December, according to game results on the Hornets’ website.