‘Planet Walk’ archway dislodged by delivery truck

Chunks of the concrete walls near Dan Black Hall and McCarthy Hall were ripped down. A delivery truck drove through the Planet Walk arch, forcing it from its mountings. (Ethan Hawkes / Daily Titan)
The decorative arch marked the entrance to Planet Walk in Dan Black Hall. It was accidentally torn down Tuesday. (Caitlin McGinnis / Daily Titan, File Photo)

The decorative “Planet Walk” archway between McCarthy Hall and Dan Black Hall was accidentally torn down Tuesday, causing damage to the walls standing between the buildings.
A delivery truck attempted to drive under the archway at about 11 a.m., and the vehicle ended up unknowingly hitting the arch and ripping it from where it was secured into two walls tearing down chunks of the wall with it. The truck belonged to Rayne Water, an outside vendor, and it was delivering water tanks to Dan Black Hall.

“(The) truck was too high,” said University Police Lt. Scot Willey. “(The driver) thought he could squeeze it, and it basically just grabbed the archway and he went forward about 40 feet and realized that he took the archway with him.”

Although a large hole is now visible in parts of the wall where the arch was once attached, no structural integrity issues are expected. The walls are not part of the classroom buildings.

Willey said the university will probably charge the company for the damage caused.

A spread of fresh vegetables: strawberries, peppers, carrots, cilantro, and an apple.

Devil’s Advocate: Significant change begins with vegetarianism

Maintaining a vegetarian diet is better for the environment, people’s health and a more ethical way to live, even

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —