Three McDaniel performs at Becker Wednesday

In Arts & Entertainment, Music
Texas-born rapper Three McDaniel will perform songs from his solo album, Blue Diamond Drive Wednesday at noon. Courtesy of Three McDaniel
Texas-born rapper Three McDaniel will perform songs from his solo album, Blue Diamond Drive Wednesday at noon.
Courtesy of Three McDaniel

Malcolm Maurice McDaniel, a singer, rapper and songwriter who goes by the stage name Three McDaniel or “Three,” is making an appearance at Becker Amphitheater Wednesday at noon.

Three McDaniel is originally from Texas but currently lives and records his music in Los Angeles.

McDaniel said his interest in becoming a musician sparked during his early childhood.

“Ever since I was glued to the TV screen watching videos as a kid, I fell in love with the raw expression and emotion, the flyness,” he said. “I wanted to be THAT guy, I wanted to be one of the voices for the people, like a mayor or governor of the streets.”

At age 8, he started making his own music and recorded his first real song to an old Isley Brothers record his mom had in her record collection.

Contrary to popular belief, McDaniel typically listens to classical music like Beethoven, Bach and Mozart along with rap and R&B, depending on the situation.

That could be what makes him stand out and connect to his audience and fans: he not only plays a mixture of music that anybody can relate to, he also has a classical taste that blends his modern rap with a melodic tune.

McDaniel said he loves performing for new audiences, and enjoyed performing at SXSW in Austin and the Roxy Theatre in Los Angeles the most out of all the places he’s been to.

“I love performing and introducing new music to new people. I haven’t finished performing yet so I’m looking forward to adding a few more places on the list,” McDaniel said.

Although he’s never been to Cal State Fullerton, he said he is excited to perform at a new place and meet new people.

McDaniel is part of a group called JONMCXRO. They have released an album called The Fifth Of Never. He will perform songs from this album along with a few from his solo album, Blue Diamond Drive.

Blue Diamond Drive includes the single “Soon” and McDaniel plans on releasing another single, “I.F.L.I.T.O.O. (I Feel Like I’m The Only One),” shortly after this show. These two songs will be played during his set today.

McDaniel said the best part of it all is experiencing life and having the opportunity to change it for the better as well as seeing the looks on peoples’ faces when they’ve never heard any of his songs.

“Knowing someone related to your song, or the song helped someone get through a situation, or your words touched somebody and they were able to feel it, that’s the best part,” he said.

Catch Three McDaniel today at the Becker Amphitheater at 12 p.m. He can be found on Twitter and Instagram via his handle, @Three_McDaniel.