CSUF softball tames UC Davis Aggies with potent offense

In Multimedia, Sports, Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3uGq2R_1uA

The Cal State Fullerton softball team hosted a three-game series with UC Davis and took two out of three against the Aggies.

The Titans (30-21-1 overall, 10-8 Big West) won both games in the doubleheader on Saturday before falling to the Aggies, 9-6, on Sunday.

CSUF won the first two games in the series by scores of 5-4 and 10-5. The win on Saturday was a comeback victory for the Titans.

The Aggies took a 4-3 lead in the top of the seventh inning on a wild pitch by sophomore Monique Wesley.

The Aggies’ lead didn’t last long as the Titans tied the game in the bottom of the inning thanks to a solo home run from junior Carissa Turang.

Sophomore third baseman Missy Taukeiaho worked a one-out walk, and two batters later scored the winning run on a double by junior Eliza Crawford.

Freshman Christina Washington made the start for the Titans and allowed three runs in five innings. Sophomore Monique Wesley pitched the final two innings of the game and earned the win, boosting her record to 5-6.

In the second game, the Titan offense exploded with 10 runs. The Aggies’ defense helped as well, committing three errors.

The game was an offensive battle with the teams combining for 12 runs in the first four innings. But a three-run fifth inning for the Titans put the game out of reach.

Washington shined in the circle with four innings of action by allowing only one run, as she was able to improve her record to 11-5. Wesley had made the start, allowing four runs in three innings.

The offensive outburst continued on Sunday, but the Titans’ pitching staff struggled in the loss. They allowed four home runs to the Aggies, the most CSUF has allowed this season.

“I think that yesterday we did what we were supposed to do. We came out on top and took care of business, and today we just came up a little short. We didn’t catch much breaks, and that’s what this game will do,” Taukeiaho said. “The takeaway is we’re just going to keep on going and keep on pushing. We got one more series, and we’re going to go out how we should and try and sweep.”

Senior shortstop Gabby Aragon scored one of CSUF's six runs in the loss on Sunday. Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan
Senior shortstop Gabby Aragon scored one of CSUF’s six runs in the loss on Sunday.
Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan

Things started off well for the Titans as they took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. Sophomore Samantha Galarza hit an RBI single to center, and an error by the Aggies allowed senior shortstop Gabby Aragon to score.
Taukeiaho extended the Titans’ lead to 3-0 in the second with a double down the right field line.

Washington took the circle once again for the Titans on Sunday and threw 3.1 innings allowing five runs, three of which were earned. Wesley again filled in for Washington in the fourth inning, but gave up three runs in only 0.2 innings.

An intentional walk with the bases loaded with two outs was followed by a costly fielding error by Aragon, which allowed two more runs to score. Wesley later allowed a three-run homer to give the Aggies an 8-3 lead.
Ford defended her decision to stick with Wesley despite her struggles.

“I think Monique actually did her job. We did an intentional walk to load the bases. We asked Monique to throw a ground ball,” Ford said. “She threw a ground ball. We didn’t make the play behind her, so it gives a good swinging team like that a second chance.”

Taukeiaho led the Titans in hitting with a three-for-three effort that included a home run in the bottom of the fourth inning that trimmed the Aggies’ lead to 8-6.

Taukeiaho also took over for Wesley and pitched the final three innings. She carried her dominance at the plate over to the circle, allowing only one run and striking out one batter.

“We’ve been working on pitching since before conference started. Today was just more of I need to hit my spots. I worked with Ariel. She did a great job today,” Taukeiaho said.

The Aggies extended their lead to 9-6 in the fifth inning on a solo home run.

The Titans had a prime opportunity to stun the Aggies in the bottom of the sixth inning when they loaded the bases. However, Crawford grounded into a fielder’s choice to strand the runners, and the Titans went down in order in the seventh to end the game.

The Titans will conclude the regular season with a road trip to Cal State Northridge. A three-game series will be held May 9 and May 10.

For more information on the CSUF softball team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.