SoCal Film Fest celebrates a decade of independent films in Huntington Beach

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV
The SoCal Film Fest will be showing independent films of different styles at the Huntington Beach Central Library and Cultural Center from Friday to Sunday. Another set of films can be viewed online from Oct. 5-12. Courtesy of SoCalFilmFest.com
The SoCal Film Fest will be showing independent films of different styles at the Huntington Beach Central Library and Cultural Center from Friday to Sunday. Another set of films can be viewed online from Oct. 5-12.
Courtesy of SoCalFilmFest.com

The SoCal Film Fest (SCFF) is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year with five days of feature films, short films and horror films.

The SCFF will be hosted by the City of Huntington Beach. Starting Wednesday, theatrical screenings will take place in the theater at Huntington Beach Central Library and Cultural Center through Sunday.

Over the course of five days, the SCFF will screen 48 films of varying forms: feature films, documentary films, short films, documentary shorts, micro shorts, youth movements, music videos and mobile media movies.

The official theatrical selections have been organized by subject matter and length into nine programs. Each program will be preceded by a red carpet event and followed by a Q&A segment which will allow audience members to interact with the filmmakers.

Program themes range from more serious dramas to films about local life. For those seeking to convoke the spirit of Halloween, a program of horror shorts will screen on Friday.

An additional 45 films have been selected to appear in the SCFF’s Online Private Festival Screening Room, Oct. 5-12, for which an online viewing subscription must be purchased.

Though nearly a hundred movies have been selected for screening at the SCFF, only 15 have been nominated for awards across the four award categories: directing, cinematography and achievements in acting for males and for
females.

Mecca II, Bryan Johnson’s surf sequel, will be headlining the SCFF kick-off on Wednesday. The selection comes as no surprise considering Huntington Beach’s branded moniker, Surf City.

The feature film Seahorses by Jason Kartalian is the dominant contender, nominated in all categories. The Toy Soldiers by Erik Peter Carlson has three nominations.

Trailers for both indie feature films can be found on Influx Magazine’s YouTube page.

In addition to film awards, the SCFF will be considering 18 screenplays for both short- form and long-form awards.

Awards will be announced at the SCFF party, which will be held at the Marriott Courtyard Fountain Valley Hotel on Friday.

The SCFF weekend will close on Sunday with a discussion on festivals and filmmakers and a forum for screenwriters.

Event tickets for programs are $8 each. Discussion and forum tickets cost $10.
All-fest passes are $40 and weekend passes for Friday and Saturday screenings are $20.
The Huntington Beach Central Library and Cultural Center is located at 7111 Talbert Ave.

CSUF Outside Hitter Gabrielle Barcelos set ups a spike attempt for her teammate against Cal Poly SLO, Sept. 21.

CSUF volleyball loses to UC Santa Barbara, drops eighth-straight game

CSUF volleyball was aced 10 times on the way to a three-set loss against UC Santa Barbara in Titan

CSUF's forward Bass Sarr confronts St. Francis' midfielder Kevin Smolyn during the Titans 2-2 tie.

CSUF men’s soccer draws tie against St. Francis University

Sunday night was repeated doses of deja vu disguised as a soccer game, as Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer

An electric vehicle spot, much like the one where the kicking incident occurred.

CSUF professor ordered to pay student for damaged car

John Short, Cal State Fullerton professor of theatre and dance, was ordered to pay a CSUF student $3,246.44 on