Students to commemorate Sept. 11

The victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks will be honored by the Cal State Fullerton College Republicans club Thursday morning on the Titan Recreation Center lawn. This will be the second 9/11 memorial the College Republicans have hosted.

English Professor Janet Eyring, the organization’s advisor, is proud of the initiative that the students have taken.
“They are carrying a banner that 35,000 people should be behind,” Eyring said. “It’s on a level that impacted the whole nation, and to forget that and not give it due attention is very irresponsible.”

The memorial is a public event open to the community. Guest speakers include U.S. Congressional Candidate Arturo Alas (R – San Gabriel Valley), U.S. Marine Martin Zapien, Fullerton Mayor Pro Tem Greg Sebourn and Associated Students, Inc. President Harpreet Bath.

Donations will be collected for the nonprofit veterans service organization Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) at Thursday’s event.

The club will be distributing flags at the event, each with a 9/11 victim’s name inscribed on it. The flags are then placed on the SRC lawn.

While the College Republicans have stronger connections to other Republican groups, they reach out to other parties and political affiliations for an event as important as this 9/11 memorial, said College Republicans President Meagan Mathieson, a political science student.

Mathieson hopes that the event Thursday will remind those attending of the importance of remembering 9/11.

“Following the attacks, the big thing that went around was ‘Never Forget,’” she said. “I feel like in recent years that you don’t hear people saying that anymore … I want to remind people that this is something that we should never forget, that we should always honor these people, that we should always have a day of remembrance.”

Eyring agreed that understanding and remembering the significance of the 2001 terror attacks may avoid a repetition of this tragedy.

For more details regarding the event, Mathieson’s contact information can be found on the 9/11 memorial flyers distributed throughout the campus, and also on the announcement page of the student and faculty portal.

(Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan)
(Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan)

CSUF Outside Hitter Gabrielle Barcelos set ups a spike attempt for her teammate against Cal Poly SLO, Sept. 21.

CSUF volleyball loses to UC Santa Barbara, drops eighth-straight game

CSUF volleyball was aced 10 times on the way to a three-set loss against UC Santa Barbara in Titan

CSUF's forward Bass Sarr confronts St. Francis' midfielder Kevin Smolyn during the Titans 2-2 tie.

CSUF men’s soccer draws tie against St. Francis University

Sunday night was repeated doses of deja vu disguised as a soccer game, as Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer

An electric vehicle spot, much like the one where the kicking incident occurred.

CSUF professor ordered to pay student for damaged car

John Short, Cal State Fullerton professor of theatre and dance, was ordered to pay a CSUF student $3,246.44 on