ASI to spread environmental awareness through Seeds of Change event

In Arts & Entertainment, Food
Students will learn about reusable bottles, water conservation, energy conservation, reusable totes and shopping locally at the Seeds for Change event which, will be held on Wednesday on the Titan Walk Lawn. courtesy of ASI
Students will learn about reusable bottles, water conservation, energy conservation, reusable totes and shopping locally at the Seeds for Change event which, will be held on Wednesday on the Titan Walk Lawn.
courtesy of ASI

With environmental issues like California’s current drought at hand, the Associated Students, Inc. Environmental Sustainability Committee invites students to its second annual Seeds for Change event to learn how people can do their part in protecting the planet.

The event celebrates the halfway point to Earth Day, and will consist of different workshops and demonstrations that will provide tips on how one can become more sustainable. The educational tips will be in regards to reusable bottles, water conservation, energy conservation, reusable totes and shopping locally.

In order to paint a picture for students of the harmful effects of plastic water bottles, the committee will present a taste testing station where students will taste water from different filters and learn about the three Rs: reduce, reuse and recycle.

The committee will also educate students on the detrimental effects of using plastic bags by displaying maps of the counties that already banned them in 2013, and by advocating new signed legislation for the ban on plastic bags for 2015.

Finally, the committee will bring Angelo’s Farms to campus to explain the benefits of shopping locally.

CSUF’s PowerSave Campus organization will also hold a workshop. The station will demonstrate the many ways people are consuming energy without realizing it, and provide tips on how to better conserve.

Zama Tea, Sola Foods, Fullerton Arboretum and Java City will join the committee in selling goodies and educating students about how their companies do their part in protecting the environment.

Vice Chair for Environmental Sustainability Emerolina Cantu’s personal dream for this event is simple.

“Get some people that have no idea what sustainability is. Just to get them in there and maybe change their minds about some things … Maybe they can do just one thing different, and that would make me incredibly happy,” Cantu said.

After CSUF students have completed all five stations, they will receive a free tote and some locally grown fruits and vegetables.

“I think it will have a good impact on students … I feel like the best way for change, at least in environmental sustainability, is definitely education,” said Theary Monh, chair for the Environmental Sustainability Committee.

The event will take place on the Titan Walk Lawn South Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Dean turnover affects college continuity

The College of Communications had four different deans in the past five years, highlighting a turnover trend that is

Former speech therapist finds passion working in the special education department at Cal State Fullerton

Feeling unfulfilled in her job as a speech therapist, a phone call from an old colleague gave Lisa Alexander

Homeless in OC: Theriault House in Stanton gives OC families a home

This story has been updated and clarified on March 16, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.   Families who need emergency