Mihaylo college students gain professional insight from Dean

In Campus News, Local News, News
Dean-courtesy-of-CSUF_std
(Courtesy of Cal State Fullerton)

When you’re the dean of a college educating nearly 8,000, it can be hard to get to know your students. But Anil Puri, Ph.D., dean of the Steven G. Mihaylo College of Business and Economics, is giving it a shot.

Students of the college have gathered for the past three years to ‘Meet the Dean.’

They have an opportunity to interact with Puri and voice their questions and concerns to him.

Puri wanted to reach out to students and give them the opportunity to address things that may concern them as future business professionals.

It is a great opportunity for the dean to have face time with students and encourage other students who are not involved to come out and meet the dean, said Emeline Yong, assistant dean of student affairs and advisor for the Business Inter-Club Council (BICC).

Most students get very minimal interaction with the dean, and it gives the BICC a sense they are doing something for students as a whole, she said.

“Otherwise, people see him more on the pedestal, at the podium doing a welcome or doing a thank you,” Yong said.

The event gives Puri a chance, Yong said, to learn what students are thinking day-to-day and take that in- formation with him as he communicates with faculty, staff and the department chair.

Students will be able to connect with him and get to know what he does as dean, said BICC President Lydia Wang.

Jason Khoo, student advisor for BICC, said they expect questions about the dean’s plan to address bottleneck classes and courses with a high failure rate.

The BICC and Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) have come together to make sure the funding and support for the event continues every year.

Yong said that student fees pay for these events to be held and funded by ASI, therefore students need to take advantage of these opportunities.

About $500 is being used, mostly to provide the free food.

The event will be held at 11:30 a.m. in the courtyard in front of Steven G. Mihaylo Hall.