ASI Board of Directors approves $40,000 to fund Magic Johnson event in the spring

magicJohnson_std
(Courtesy of Magic Johnson Enterprises)

Editor’s note: The print edition of this story contained a chart of sponsors with outdated information. The correct information is listed at the bottom of this story.

Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) Board of Directors has approved $40,000 to bring retired NBA legend and businessman Earvin “Magic” Johnson to campus to deliver a talk in the spring.

The funds were allocated to the Business Inter-Club Council (BICC) from ASI’s contingency fund.

“We have never actually allocated funding until this year to a specific speaker event, and it was only through the hard work of NSM (Natural Science and Mathematics) last year partnering with a lot of the ICCs that we brought one of the first high-rated speakers here to campus, which was Bill Nye,” said Chief Governmental Officer Kelsey Brewer.

Following the success of Nye’s keynote speech at the Explorations in Citizen Science symposium in March, the 2013-2014 ASI Board of Directors allocated $40,000 to the executive senate budget for an event hosting a high-profile speaker, Brewer said.

The vast majority of Johnson’s $90,000 speaking fee was paid by the ASI funds and a $40,000 donation from Anil Puri, Ph.D., dean of the College of Business and Economics, but many campus clubs and ICCs also donated.

The CSUF Athletics Department will provide the use of Titan Stadium for the event.

BICC President Lydia Wang and her team have been presenting to different ICCs and gathering student surveys online and around campus to allow students to voice their opinions on a big speaker for next year.

After gathering 893 student surveys, Johnson won out against comedian Kevin Hart and Shark Tank judges Barbara Corcoran and Daymond John.

“Magic Johnson touches a lot of different generations as well, so I know that he will help bring a lot of attention to the school, not only for students on campus but for the community around us,” Wang said.

The reception from the board was mixed with concerns such as relevancy of topics, funding and success of the event. During the discussion, board members and executive staff had some reservations against giving such a large amount of money to one college over another.

“It’s not really our money; it’s the students’ money and we have to think what they would want us to spend their money on. When students pay their fees, they want to see something big happen from it,” said Katy Johnson, College of Health and Human Development board member.

Once the BICC has solidified 99 percent of their funds, they can begin other marketing and fundraising such as raffling sports merchandise and a meet-and-greet with Johnson.

Sponsors:
ASI – $40,000
Anil Puri, Ph.D., dean of the Steven G. Mihaylo College of Business and Economics – $40,000
SCICC –  $2,500
IFC – $1,000
HHDICC – $500
HSSICC – $0
CSICC – $0
BSU – $0
AICC – $0
ECSICC – $0
Panhellenic – $0
SOARICC – $0