$200,000 project to widen south entrance of College Park is complete

In Campus News, Local News, News
The south entrance to College Park underwent construction over the winter intersession break. The steps leading to the entrance were widened and the handicap entrance was straightened. (Amanda Sharp / Daily Titan)

After more than a month of construction, a project to widen the south entrance of College Park is complete.

Work for the project was entirely exterior, and has resulted in a straightened handicap entrance and wider steps leading into the building.

In order to allow for the increased space, a planter that was previously near the south entrance was removed. The finished entrance will resemble the recently-remodeled entrance to the north side of the building, with the same finish and tile-work used on both sides of the building.

The project was carried out by David E. Glenn Construction, the same company that renovated the north side of the building in 2013. Funding for the approximately $200,000 project came from the Auxiliary Services Corporation, which owns the building, university officials said.

The construction comes nearly two years after the north side of the building was renovated, although the two projects were completed for different reasons, university officials said.

The renovation of the north side of the building was carried out to increase safety by providing a walkway for pedestrians to prevent conflicts with cars in the parking lot.

On the south side of the building, however, that conflict is not as pronounced and there is no way to completely segregate pedestrians and cars, officials said.

The two sets of stairs that previously led up to the south entrance were not large enough for the number of people entering and leaving the building, officials said, and the new, widened configuration will allow visitors to more easily access the building from the south side.

The most evident improvement will be for handicapped visitors, officials said, with a straightened handicap entrance into the building. The overall project will allow students, staff and visitors easier entry and exit from the building.

Planning for the project began six months ago, with the Auxiliary Services Corporation board and management deciding on an initial plan for the construction which was then approved by campus administration through Danny Kim, vice president for Administration and Finance.

The entrance, which was closed to visitors from both inside and outside the building as of Dec. 20, will be open for use at the start of the spring 2015 semester.