Concert celebrates renowned jazz club Keystone Korner in the Meng

In Arts & Entertainment, Music, Reviews
George Cables, Eddie Henderson, Bill Harper, James Leary and Victor Lewis were once regular performers for the ‘70s jazz club, Keystone Korner. The club served as a haven for diverse jazz musicians and enthusiasts. (Jackie Tambara / Daily Titan)
George Cables, Eddie Henderson, Bill Harper, James Leary and Victor Lewis were once regular performers for the ‘70s jazz club, Keystone Korner. The club served as a haven for diverse jazz musicians and enthusiasts.
(Jackie Tambara / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton School of Music hosted a special show to celebrate the renowned Keystone Korner jazz club on Friday night in the Meng Concert Hall. The concert was in commemoration of a new exhibit in the Pollak Library called Sloane’s Keystone Korner: Portrait of a Jazz Club.

Keystone Korner was known as a famous haven for jazz musicians and enthusiasts in San Francisco during the 1970s. It served as a sanctuary for diverse musicians, workers and listeners in a time where community was crucial.

The concert featured original Keystone Korner regulars, George Cables on piano, Eddie Henderson on trumpet, Billy Harper on saxophone, James Leary on stand up bass and Victor Lewis on drums.

In 1971, George Cables moved from the East Coast to the West Coast and became a significant jazz figure in Los Angeles and in San Francisco where he resided.

Cables is all about collaboration and making multiple sounds come together as one.

Cables paid tribute to Keystone Korner and the jazz music that erupted from that time era with a short speech.

The five-man-group got the concert started with a song titled I Should Care. The upbeat tempo of the drums and the gliding piano made for an animated intro song.

Not all songs were fast paced. From slow tempo songs to fast tempo songs, the band created a versatile jazz performance throughout the night.

Helen’s Song was the most talked about during the intermission. It featured George Cables’ whimsical piano along with a light drum tempo and bass. He showcased a few solos during this song which the audience enjoyed.

Billy Harper’s ravishing saxophone was featured in a song called Believe For It Is True. The sultry sounds of his saxophone left the audience wanting more.

Each instrument was featured in different songs. Henderson’s trumpet, Leary’s bass and Lewis’s drums each had a solo despite being the backbone of the performance.

The second half of the concert was filled with songs that featured Harper and Henderson playing the saxophone and trumpet simultaneously. The audience was in awe when the two men played in unison.

Photographer Kathy Sloane was sitting in the front row, enjoying the concert. Sloane is known as an acclaimed photographer who captured so many of the precious moments during the Keystone era.

Sloane’s Keystone Korner: Portrait of a Jazz Club is on exhibition from Feb. 11 to Mar. 24 in the Pollak Library’s Salz-Pollak Atrium Gallery. All of the images in the exhibit are produced by Kathy Sloane.

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the