CSUF women’s golf finishes middle of the pack at Delta Gamma Challenge

The Cal State Fullerton women’s golf team was back in action Sunday for their second tournament of the spring season.

After finishing in last at the Gold Rush competition last week, the Titans finished in ninth place with a score of 23-over 591 at the Delta Gamma Challenge, which took place at the Landa Park Golf Club in New Braunfels, Texas.

The third round, which was scheduled for Monday, was cut short due to wind chill and gusts of 35 mph wind blowing balls around on the green.

The University of Idaho and the University of Alabama at Little Rock were tied for the lead with scores of seven-over 575 at the time play was halted, but Idaho was declared the winner because of the tie breaker rule, which stipulates the winning team is the one whose fifth golfer scores better than the other team’s fifth golfer. The Vandals’ fifth-place golfer, Kendall Gray, finished with a 10-over 152, while the Trojans’ fifth-place golfer, Pernille Orlien, carded a 26-over 168.

Host Texas State finished in fourth with a team score of 15-over 583.

The individual title was split between three golfers, as Youngstown State’s Aislynn Merling, Texas State’s Lora Assad and UALR’s Sabrina Bonanno all carded two-under 140.

Senior Tisha Alyn Abrea rebounded from her poor outing at the Gold Rush with a two-over 144, just four strokes from the leaders. Alyn Abrea’s score of 144 placed her in a 13th place tie with Lamar University’s Bertille Dupont.

Sophomore Martina Edberg, who also struggled last week, finished right behind Alyn Abrea with a three-over 145, good for a tie with three other golfers for the 15th spot.

Junior Nadine Rivera followed Edberg with a four-over 146, finishing in 19th with four others. Rivera’s best round was the second, where she finished under par with a score of 70.

There was a large gap between the Titans’ third golfer and their fourth and fifth golfers.

Freshman Brittany Farrell, who finished in a tie for 10th place at the Gold Rush, had a poor showing at the Delta Gamma Challenge, finishing in a tie for 62nd with a 16-over 158. Junior Dakota Brown also recorded a 16-over 158 to round out the Titan golfers.