CSUF women’s golf struggles at Gold Rush

The CSUF women’s golf team teed off its spring season by finishing 11th at the Gold Rush tournament in Seal Beach.

The tournament featured many familiar faces for the Titans, with six of the 11 teams competing hailing from the Big West Conference.

The competition kicked off on Monday, with the Titans carding a 317 and 307 in the first two rounds, respectively. They finished the day tied for eighth place with UC Irvine. Host Long Beach State topped the leaderboard through the first 36 holes with a 16-over 592 score.

After carding a score of 314 in the third round, the Titans fell to the last spot. Long Beach State easily captured the team title with a score of 19-over 883. The closest score to Long Beach was Fresno State’s 38-over 902. Fullerton’s final tally was a 74-over 938.

Brigham Young’s Lea Garner took the individual title with an even 216 score, just one stroke ahead of 49er Kassidy Teare.

Despite the last-place finish, freshman Brittany Farrell impressed for the Titans, posting a top-10 finish with a 9-over 225 mark. Farrell tied for 10th with Brigham Young’s Maria Yacaman.

Competing as an individual, Fullerton senior Makayla Mier finished in a tie for 34th place. Mier had the second-best score for the Titans with a 17-over 233.

Coming off a career-best second round score of 73, junior Nadine Rivera finished the Gold Rush tied for 42nd place with a score of 236, 20-over par.

Tisha Alyn Abrea started the competition well with a first-round score of 77, but was inconsistent through the final two rounds. The senior finished with a score of 24-over 240, good for sole possession of 53rd place.

Junior Dakota Brown finished right behind Abrea with a score of 25-over 241, placing her in a tie for 54th.

No Titan golfer struggled more than the reigning Big West Conference Championships individual title holder, Martina Edberg. The Swedish sophomore couldn’t find any rhythm through the competition, carding scores of at least 80 in each round to finish with a 28-over 244, putting her in the 59th spot.

Edberg needs to shake off her sophomore slump if the Titans are to find success in the spring.

The Titans will have a chance to redeem themselves Sunday at the Delta Gamma Challenge in New Braunfels, Texas.