Martina Edberg claims co-medalist honors at Juli Inkster Spartan Invitational

The Cal State Fullerton women’s golf team concluded Juli Inkster Spartan Invitational play Tuesday, finishing sixth place after a strong final day in San Jose.

After struggling in the first day of action, the Titans all carded their best scores of the competition in the second day at the 6,143-yard, par-72 Almaden Golf and Country Club course.

The Titans began the third round in ninth place, but moved up three spots after carding a 299, the second-best overall team score of the day. Fullerton would finish the tournament with a 67-over 931.

The team may have played poorly through the first two rounds, but sophomore Martina Edberg stayed in contention to defend her individual title at the Spartan Invitational. Entering Tuesday one stroke behind the leaders, Edberg shot a two-under 70 in the final round to earn co-medalist honors with San Jose State’s Megan Osland.

Edberg and Osland finished with a three-over 319 score. The co-medalist honor for Edberg was her second consecutive at the Spartan Invitational and her third career title.

Although 12-strokes behind Fresno State after the first day, host San Jose State captured the team win by carding an even-par 288 in the final round to finish with a 33-over 897, just two strokes in front of the Bulldogs.

Behind Edberg, the next best performer for the Titans was Brittany Farrell. The freshman finished with a 17-over 233, good for a tie for 23rd place.

Senior Tisha Alyn Abrea was the third Titan golfer, placing in a tie for 31st with a score of 237 (+21).

Junior Nadine Rivera rounded out the Titan golfers with a 42nd-place finish on a 26-over 242.

The Titans will have a long break before next hitting the links on March 20, when they travel to Tucson, Arizona for the Mountain View Collegiate. The Mountain View Collegiate will be the last tuneup for the Titans before the Big West Championships beginning April 19.