NBA legend Magic Johnson coming to CSUF

In Campus News, Local News, News
flickr_Wendy-Greuel_std_
Magic Johnson will be getting down to business when he presents at the Titan Gym (Photo courtesy of Flickr).

This story was updated at 2:04 p.m. and again at 4:56 p.m. Feb 26 to reflect more accurate information.

Two-time NBA Hall of Famer Earvin “Magic” Johnson may be known for his tenure on the Los Angeles Lakers, but the retired basketball player boasts a few other accomplishments, and he’ll be discussing those when he comes to campus next week.

Johnson’s acquired business acumen will be the topic of discussion Wednesday when he arrives on campus as a guest speaker for the Business Inter-Club Council’s Business Madness Week. The event, “An Evening with Magic Johnson,” will take place in the Titan Gym.

Officials from the council selected Johnson after consulting with students through an e-mail sent out to business majors and a table-voting campaign, said Emeline Yong, assistant dean for Student Affairs for Steven G. Mihaylo College of Business and Economics.

A majority of students selected Johnson over Shark Tank’s Daymond John and Barbara Corcoran during the two week voting process.

Johnson is expected to deliver an inspirational speech before opening the floor to the students for a question and answer session.

The council chose the Titan Gym as the location for the speaking engagement because it was large enough for students, but intimate enough for Magic Johnson to engage with attendees, Yong said.

Johnson will be able to roam around the Titan Gym with a wireless microphone, giving students the opportunity to see and hear him from wherever they are sitting.

The event will happen with the involvement of various student groups and individuals. The business council worked closely with other councils, Johnson supporters and Associated Students, Inc., which pursued the businessman following Lydia Wang’s initial request, Yong said.

Safa Moinuddin, a freshman accounting major, expressed her excitement about having Magic Johnson coming to campus.

“He’s a legend,” Moinuddin said. “You hear about him all the time.”

Moinuddin is also eager to know how he became a successful business man, she said.

Yong received a report that more than 1,200 tickets had been picked up on the first day they were available, she said.

The speech will take place on March 4 at 7 p.m.

Tickets are available at the Titan Student Union and are free for current students with a Titan Card.