New House bill banning abortion is an unjust ruling for women everywhere

Courtesy of FlickrOn Jan. 22, 2015 the House of Representatives passed the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2015.

This bill prohibits any federal funds from being used for any health benefit coverage that includes abortions with the exception of terminating pregnancies that are the result of rape or incest or if the woman suffers from an injury, illness or physical disorder.

This kind of legislation attacks women’s health and it isn’t a new thing. It has been lurking around since 1976 as the Hyde Amendment, a provision that bans federal Medicaid funds for abortion except when the woman’s life is endangered by the pregnancy.

It’s an oppressive provision that’s gotten pinned onto annual bills every year since.

It’s ritualistic in a sense, like an annual pinning ceremony to commemorate paternalism and having control over what a woman does with her body

This bill further reinforces a woman’s role as an incubator and baby factory.  It’s hard not to feel that the government has once again reduced a valid medical procedure to a dirty, shameful thing that’s only necessary in traumatic circumstances where a woman is a damsel in distress.

Passing this bill affects all women negatively especially low income women who need medical coverage the most.

The Guttmacher Institute reports 58 percent of women who seek abortions are in their 20s, 61 percent have one or more children, 56 percent are unmarried and not cohabiting, 69 percent are economically disadvantaged and 73 percent report a religious affiliation as the reason.

This data reflects characteristics not uncommon for women seeking abortions: young, single and poor. These women are in a difficult situation where having a child would be a trying hardship they could never sustain.

And the reality is that sometimes that is the only choice. But that’s the keyword: choice. Women should be able to decide.

Being at a particularly low point in one’s life doesn’t mean a woman won’t able to rise up and succeed in the future. But she needs to be given that chance first.

What this bill’s passing really does is take away the opportunity for young women to improve the quality of life they grew up in.

Having a child is a lifelong commitment that requires a huge amount of sacrifice and financial resources. Taking away the medical coverage of this important procedure is taking away a critical choice from these young women.

It also puts lives at risk by making women resort to unsafe measures of abortion in times of desperation.

In the grand scheme of things, it continues the cycle of poverty by making it unlikely these women will be able to afford higher education for themselves and their unborn children.

Women who have bright futures ahead will not have a chance to better themselves. They will have to worry about earning enough to support not only themselves, but their child.

This will leave them no time to pursue a degree, accept a higher paying job that’s more demanding or time to emotionally mature in order to provide the nurture and care every child deserves.

Not giving women a choice will successfully ensure they permanently remain in a helpless position, for both themselves and their children.

One commentOn New House bill banning abortion is an unjust ruling for women everywhere

• While In a free and open society, all are entitled to their
    opinion, I disagree with this opinion piece because it completely ignores the “right
    to life” that is guaranteed in the Declaration of Independence, which most
    Americans believe is one of the key documents defining their worldview. Women
    deserve all the freedoms and opportunities that men have. Yet abortion,
    particularly in the later stages of a pregnancy, raise serious ethical
    questions beyond the simple question of a woman’s autonomy over her own body.
    Certainly, the “right to life” being fundamental to our understanding of
    freedom should apply to an unborn child, just as much as it applies to any
    other situation, since children hold the promise for the future. This of course
    does not mean that a woman should be forced to care for a child that she did
    not plan to bring up. Nevertheless, it does mean that every human being should
    have a right to come into the world; it is part of a complete vision of human
    rights. Over the past 40 years, the Hyde Amendment has in my view been a licit
    strategy by American officials to prevent a procedure that would violate the
    country’s understanding of liberty. Unwanted pregnancies are a problem for
    society, yet birth control that prevents impregnation in the first place is
    widely available in an attempt to prevent unplanned pregnancy, and should become even more widely available in the future. I want to note that I
    do not hold my opinion primarily for religious reasons; as a strong believer in
    liberty for all, regardless of position in life, it seems reasonable to protect an unborn child on human rights grounds.

I am certainly grateful that my mother did not exercise her “rights” by
    aborting me, a sentiment I am sure all of us can relate to. We can also be glad that medical scientists that have created life-saving treatments, inventors that have created conveniences that better our lives and scientists that help us to better understand the world we live in were allowed to come into the world to impart their knowledge to humanity. We never know who the next Albert Einstein or Steve Jobs will be. We claim that “all lives matter” in numerous worthy movements, yet why cannot this extend to the lives of the unborn?