Society and the media encourages a dangerous kind of “fun”

Students might not consider the consequences of every red Solo cup poured or every joint that’s rolled.

There’s a sense of empowerment that comes with drinking or smoking. Drinking and smoking has become so glamorized in society that students shove the critical consequences and detrimental effects of the activity to the sidelines.

The constant promotion of drinking and smoking can be seen and heard throughout social media, music, movies, television and advertisements.

Getting wasted or high is constantly celebrated and cheered. These ideas start affecting what we believe is the “cool” thing to do.

At a party, getting high or wasted may feel right in the moment, but deep inside, people know the hangovers, bloodshot eyes and cravings are not the greatest experiences.

If knowing that hangovers and neglected judgement are inevitable, why continue to do it? The usage is justified through fallacies that overshadow the actual consequences in smoking and drinking. It’s plain and simple.

Students perceive marijuana as safer than tobacco, non-addictive, and non-threatening, according to North Dakota State University’s Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Prevention Programs website.

The invincibility of being young and engaging in temporary amusing actions have become more important than their future, health or principles.

At Cal State Fullerton, 57.9 percent of students surveyed have had consumed alcohol within the last 30 days while 14.7 percent had used marijuana, according to the Spring 2014 American College Health Association and National College Health Assessment II Summary of Cal State Fullerton.

The data shows a considerable amount of students engaging in drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, this data also shows a considerable amount of students portraying poor judgement, experiencing physical discomfort and risking their health for very little payoff.

Sure it comes with social appeal, but that’s hardly worth it. Everyone wants to fit in, but drinking and smoking isn’t the only way to get there.

Some who smoke or drink may do it with caution, but usage can easily get out of control, resulting in drug and alcohol dependence, creating a wholly preventable hardship.

The survey further added that 45.6 percent of students surveyed who had consumed alcohol in the last 12 months had experienced physical harm, regret, problems with the police, memory loss, suicidal tendencies and unsafe sexual activity.

These tragic outcomes aren’t worth succumbing to a lifestyle that has been romanticized to be “cool.”

Society and the media need to stop romanticizing the dangerous activities of drinking and smoking.

These seemingly inconsequential decisions can result in disastrous tragedies.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out