Tattoos are a waste of time, money and future regret

In Devil's Advocate, Opinion

Courtesy of FlickrTo tat or not to tat?

That is the age old question for young people today. If someone was an exceptionally rebellious child, he might’ve contemplated the concept in his late teens.

Hopefully, though, they didn’t go through with it. It’s quite a heavy decision at such a young age.

Why the devil does every youngster in the world need a tattoo? We’re given a clean slate at birth and the second it’s legally allowed, we mark it all up after saving up a few hundred dollars.

But is it really worth permanence? Is a butterfly or a bible verse something worth being worn on the body for the rest of time?

Keep in mind, ink lasts forever and the removal might be more difficult than it seems. If having a tattoo is a must, first picture the future in 25 years.

Imagine spending a day on the beach with family, or walking into the new office on the first day. Will that tattoo bring pride?

If the answer is no, you should seriously reconsidering getting inked is a must. If it’s yes, then consider the content of the tattoo. What phrase, rendition or verse sums you up best, and please don’t let it be your favorite beer or sweetheart.

A critical question to consider when deciding on getting a tattoo is why it’s important. Is it because it makes one stand out?

The thing is, once people have adorned themselves in ink, they go to the beach the next day only to find themselves surrounded by tattoo aficionados.

After looking forward to displaying this new ink, it turns out that every tough dad, surfer dude and party chick on the beach has one too and they don’t usually differ vastly—a bible verse here, an opalescent fish there and so on.

Their statements of solidarity only cement them into a different group. Now they’re part of the ones who are tattooed, as opposed to the ones who are not.

Not much of a difference.

Getting a tattoo is not as liberating as we’d like to think. The grass is always greener on the other side and there are plenty of ways to stand out without ruining perfectly good skin.

If you’re wary of getting a tattoo, search for other ways to express rebelliousness first. Who knows, maybe by the time you’ve tried a few alternative acts of rebellion, you’ll be out of your tattoo phase. And that is usually what it is, a short-lived phase.

Choosing to have a tattoo is a way people wish to be separated from the crowd. But it’s really just leaving one crowd for another. Either way, it seems inevitable that we always follow a crowd, so choose wisely.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.