Titan baseball walks the dinosaur

Freshman right fielder Scott Hurst crushes a two-run home run to left field in the third inning against the Korean professional team NC Dinos. Hurst finished 2-for-5 on Monday as the Titans would hold on to beat the Dinos 8-7 at Goodwin Field. (Matt Corkill / Daily Titan)
Freshman right fielder Scott Hurst crushes a two-run home run to left field in the third inning against the Korean professional team NC Dinos. Hurst finished 2-for-5 on Monday as the Titans would hold on to beat the Dinos 8-7 at Goodwin Field.
(Matt Corkill / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton pulled out an exciting exhibition win against South Korean professional team NC Dinos, 8-7, at Goodwin Field Monday night.

The traveling NC Dinos jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on an unearned run in the first inning off of Titan senior starter Willie Kuhl on a defensive error and a walk.

The Titans then jumped on Dino starter Jae-Hak Lee for four runs in the bottom of the third inning. The rally started on a sharply-hit single by junior Hunter Cullen to right field, who was brought home on the two-run homer by freshman Scott Hurst that hung on the left field wall for a second before giving the Titans a 2-1 lead.

The rally continued thanks to three errors committed by the Dinos, allowing CSUF to score another two and go up 4-1. Cullen led the offense Monday night going 3-4 with two runs scored.

The CSUF lead was padded with two runs in the fourth off of junior first baseman Dalton Blaser’s two-RBI double. Fullerton once again scored twice, this time in the fifth inning, off another two-RBI double by Hurst, giving him four RBIs on the game.

The Titans pitching staff combined for a no-hitter through the first four innings against the Dinos, until sophomore reliever Chad Hockin allowed the first hit of the game to Si-Heon Son.

The Dinos chipped away at the Titan lead in the sixth inning. Hockin allowed two runs on a no-out walk, an error and a single to bring in two and cut the lead to 8-3. The inning could have been much worse for the Titans had they not been able to end it on a non-traditional 3-6-1-2 double play at home.

In the seventh inning, the Titans ran into some real trouble when the Dinos’ offense continued to claw back into the game.

After another no-out walk issued by sophomore reliever Miles Chambers, the runner was quickly brought home due to a catcher’s interference and a two-RBI single laced up the middle by ex-MLB player Eric Thames to cut the lead to 8-5.

Thames was brought home on the error by Titan junior third baseman Jerrod Bravo, and after a sac-fly to center, the rally stalled out thanks to a key strikeout from junior reliever Henry Omana with runners at second and third, cutting the lead to 8-7. Senior reliever Tyler Peitzmeier came in and shut the Dinos down in order during the ninth to earn the save and give the Titans the win.

The Titans (3-5) will resume their regular season schedule this weekend when they host Baylor (5-2) for a three-game homestand that proves to be a true test for CSUF. The series starts Friday with first pitch at 7 p.m. at Goodwin Field.

Art student captures social stigmas of men in photo series for ‘Collectively Here’ exhibit

Isolation, substance abuse, body image and grief make up stories untold by four people through black and white photographs