Titans prepare for Orange Madness with Ty Dolla $ign

In Arts & Entertainment, Food, Music
Homecoming week kicked off Sunday with the Chalk Off Challenge. Following that was the Chalk Off Judging on Monday and a Taco Tuesday event and a scavenger hunt Wednesday. Thursday will have a pep rally and Friday will be Orange Madness with Ty Dolla $ign. (Mariah Carrillo / Daily Titan)
Homecoming week kicked off Sunday with the Chalk Off Challenge. Following that was the Chalk Off Judging on Monday and a Taco Tuesday event and a scavenger hunt Wednesday. Thursday will have a pep rally and Friday will be Orange Madness with Ty Dolla $ign.
(Mariah Carrillo / Daily Titan)

Associated Students, Inc. and the Alumni Association have teamed up to make sure this week falls nothing short of uber fun with pregame festivities, basketball action between Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside and a live performance by hip-hop artist Ty Dolla $ign.

The Chalk Off Challenge kicked off the week on Sunday, Feb. 1, with about 12 organizations that came out to create a mural in honor of homecoming week.

The Chalk Off Judging continued the next day, giving Titans the chance to come out and vote for their favorite chalk mural, and be entered in a raffle to win Titan gear.

At the end of the Chalk Off Judging, the CSUF Health and Human Development InterClub Council was the winner of the most creative mural. The Titan award, which best represented Titan pride, went to the Association for InterCultural Awareness.

Yesterday, another day filled with food and entertainment for Titans took place during Titan Taco Tuesday. The women’s basketball team, alongside coaches and staff, came out to the Central Quad and served tacos to students. Every student wearing CSUF gear received one free taco.

Today the fun continues with an Orange Out Scavenger Hunt from noon to 1:30 p.m. on the lawn between the Student Recreation Center and Titan Gym.

Four different stations will be set up around campus, starting from the Central Quad and ending in the Titan Gym. As titans hit each station, they will receive free items like a tote bag, stickers, rally towels and a t-shirt—making the ultimate spirit pack for homecoming, said Titan Tusk Force Director, Lauren Vivanco.

On Thursday, the homecoming pep rally will take place from 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at the Becker Amphitheater. There will be a live performance by Captain Nomad as well as free food and giveaways.

On Friday from 6-11 p.m., there will be a three-point and dunk contest between members of the men’s and women’s basketball team.

Following that, will be the second round of Associated Students Production’s Battle of the DJs, between artists Father Knature and DJ Cascio. The winner will perform at the Associated Students Spring Concert in May.

To close Friday’s event, there will be a special guest, hip-hop artist Ty Dolla $ign.

Vivanco said this is the first time CSUF has had a big artist on campus before the Associated Students Spring Concert.

The idea of having a big artist play at the homecoming rally stemmed from a conversation between Associated Students and Titan athletics, when brainstorming how to increase attendance for the big game.

“Ty Dolla $ign is definitely the event that I’m most (excited) about, but it’s all because we want to make sure we sell out the game and everyone is there,” Vivanco said.

Concluding homecoming week will be a homecoming pregame festival consisting of family-friendly activities.

The event will be on Saturday from 3-6 p.m. on the Student Recreation Center lawn.

Festivities will include carnival games, balloon artists, face painting, as well as a Pink’s Hot Dog food truck.

After enjoying the pregame festivities, students can make their way into the Titan Gym for the big game.

Tipoff is at 6:05 p.m.

“I think for me, I want all students to feel a sense of Titan pride. Because you know, we have this stigma on campus that we are a commuter campus. But there is so much to do and so many different ways to get involved, so taking part in homecoming week is a really great way to kind of get your feet wet,” Vivanco said. “We’ve worked really hard and I am excited to see what the turnout is like.”

For more information on Orange Madness, visit the Associated Students website at http://asi.fullerton.edu.