Award-winning indie band Kiev to play the Becker Amphitheater

In Arts & Entertainment, Music
Local indie band Kiev formed in 2009, and have released two EPs and one full-length album. A track from their EP Be Gone Dull Cage & Others was featured on The Walking Dead. They were named “Best Indie Band” two years in a row by the Orange County Music Awards. courtesy of Kiev
Local indie band Kiev formed in 2009, and have released two EPs and one full-length album. A track from their EP Be Gone Dull Cage & Others was featured on The Walking Dead. They were named “Best Indie Band” two years in a row by the Orange County Music Awards.
courtesy of Kiev

Orange County band, Kiev, will be performing live at Becker Amphitheater Wednesday as part of the Associated Students, Inc. Productions Wednesday Concert Series.

Associated Students Concert Series coordinator, Doris Munoz, found the band through a friend’s recommendation and thought they would bring a good vibe to Cal State Fullerton, she said.

“Musically, they are just fantastic,” she said.

Kiev was established as a band in 2009, adding members one by one. After releasing two EPs—Ain’t No Scary Folks In On Around Here in 2010 and Be Gone Dull Cage & Others in 2011—Kiev was named “Best Indie Band” at the 2011 and 2012 Orange County Music Awards.

In 2013, the band released its first full-length album, Falling Bough Wisdom Teeth, with Suspended Sunrise Recordings.

A track from Be Gone Dull Cage & Others was recently featured on an episode of The Walking Dead.

The band was built very slowly over the course of few years the band’s vocalist and guitarist, Robert Brinkerhoff said.

Brinkerhoff met Brandon Corn, the band’s drummer, about 10 years ago. The two played together for a year or two before meeting Andy Stavas, keyboard and saxaphone player, and Derek Poulsen, bassist. Poulsen was a composition major at CSUF at the time, Brinkerhoff said.

Kiev plays eclectic-style music that can be best described as “a mix of something that is like an organic, electronic, experimental, indie sound,” Brinkerhoff said.

The wide range of musical styles incorporated in Kiev’s compositions comes from a wide range of the band’s musical tastes.

“There is so much music available to us now,” Brinkerhoff said in an email. “We are always into anything creative, dusty or groovy. Lately, we have been listening to new folks like Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Arp, Timber Timbre, Michael Kiwanuka, Todd Terje, Luke Abbott among a zillion others.”

Brinkerhoff is happy to perform at CSUF because he saw a number of bands like At The Drive-In and Jimmy Eat World perform here on campus, he said.

Associated Students will again be giving out free pizza for students and free tickets for upcoming concerts in the Orange County area.