Business Madness Week features events to teach students industry skills

In Campus News, Local News, News
Students participate in the dinner etiquette event, one of Monday's Business Madness Week events. (Nayara Assis / Daily Titan)
Students participate in the dinner etiquette event, one of Monday’s Business Madness Week events. (Nayara Assis / Daily Titan)

The Steven G. Mihaylo College of Business and Economics Business Madness Week, hosted by the Business Inter-Club Council, will break down events day by day to give students a chance to learn about a number of facets to the business industry.

Lessons from each day will build on the previous day’s events, with the aim of leaving students more knowledgeable about the fundamentals of business by the end of the week, said Jessica Macaspac, vice president for the Business Inter-Club Council.

Each day has been assigned its own theme to encapsulate the lessons that students are meant to take away from events held throughout the week.

Monday’s theme was Business 101, and the day featured events that taught students the business basics, including a resume review, overview of appropriate business attire and a dining etiquette review.

Jasmine Redd, Black Business Student Association member, was excited to see her hard work as a decorator come to fruition for the dining etiquette portion of Monday.

The theme for Tuesday’s events will be style and success. That theme will play out during a business-themed pageant from 6-8:30 p.m.

Pageant contestants will compete for titles such as Mr. and Miss Business 2015. Contestants will compete through different rounds, and their business responses during a Q&A portion will determine who wins the title, said Jessica Macaspac, vice president of programs for the Business Inter-Club Council.

Each round will test contestants on what they learned during Monday’s events, Macaspac said.

Wednesday’s learn and grow theme will culminate in An Evening with Magic Johnson, during which the former Lakers player turned businessman will give a speech Wednesday evening.

A business career expo and panel with the Institute of Real Estate Management will play into Thursday’s take action theme.

During the career expo, students will be able to take what they have learned from the previous days and apply it themselves to network with potential employers, Macaspac said.

During the institute panel, real estate professionals will give students insight about their involvement in the business world, Macaspac said.

Friday, a dance marathon to benefit the Childrens Hospital of Orange County will conclude the week with a give back theme.

The TitanTHON, a six hour dance marathon benefiting CHOC, raised funds to benefit the hospital. The group reached its $8,000 fundraising goal.

Tickets to the dance marathon were sold for $15, and funds from the sales were used to meet the group’s goal, said Becki Vasquez, executive board member for the dance marathon.

All tickets for an Evening with Earvin “Magic” Johnson are available in the Titan Student Union. Tickets for the Dance Marathon can be bought online at events.dancemarathon.com/event/titanthon.